Thread: Pattern Tracing

Pattern Tracing

FWIW- Just looked at the Wood Mag shop tip of the day about using white carbon paper on dark woods. As a Blacksmith working black iron sheets and plate, I often used old brown paper grocery sacks opened up and the back side gone over with white soft chalkboard chalk used on edge, or putting a light coating of chalk line chalk or just soap stone that I scraped off a stick with my pocket knife all over the area where I wanted to trace a pattern, lay the paper carefully on the plate, trace the pattern then gently blow off the excess and the pattern was left where the chalk line powder was pressed down by tracing over the pattern. FWIW
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    FWIW- Just looked at the Wood Mag shop tip of the day about using white carbon paper on dark woods. As a Blacksmith working black iron sheets and plate, I often used old brown paper grocery sacks opened up and the back side gone over with white soft chalkboard chalk used on edge, or putting a light coating of chalk line chalk or just soap stone that I scraped off a stick with my pocket knife all over the area where I wanted to trace a pattern, lay the paper carefully on the plate, trace the pattern then gently blow off the excess and the pattern was left where the chalk line powder was pressed down by tracing over the pattern. FWIW

I gave someone my pack of IBM carbon paper about a decade ago. They thought it had historical significance value.

Just looked and Amazon is out of stock on carbon paper, 10 sheets for about $29.

I think I will stick to making my own like you mentioned and we did in art classes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I gave someone my pack of IBM carbon paper about a decade ago. They thought it had historical significance value.

Just looked and Amazon is out of stock on carbon paper, 10 sheets for about $29.

I think I will stick to making my own like you mentioned and we did in art classes.

jtk
    Actually, it's 10 sheets per folder, 12 folder, for 120 Sheets. So it's not THAT bad

I have a whit pencil I get at the art store but the point isn't very durable. it breaks almost immediately.

Hey John, I use the white pencil as well, what type of sharpener are you using? a standard pencil sharpener has too narrow of a taper in my experience, look for a roughly 60 degree tapered sharpener at the art supply shop. Think pig sticker mortise chisel over pairing chisel.

Hope that helps,
    Last edited by Trevor Walsh; 11-21-2010 at 4:51 PM. Reason: fix analogy
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop