Thread: Help carving furniture detals

Help carving furniture detals

Hi everyone,

M name's Aram. I'm new on SMC. I've been building furniture for a few years now. One thing I am not satisfied with is my ability to create crisp details on furniture pulls. Here is a simple example to illustrate.

The convex curves aren't too bad. But the inside curves were shaped with rasps. The result is always a little rounded across the width, and not crisply defined.

How would you shape something like this? Is this a good application for gouges? (I own a lot of hand tools -- but exactly one is a carving gouge! But hey, I'm up for a new slippery slope.) Or do I just need to improve my technique? Any advice appreciated. I have some more complicated furniture details in mind (some Krenov-like features) that I want to build up to.

Thanks guys!

Aram
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Aram and welcome,
    I've made a few like this and all I used was a bandsaw and a drill press mounted drum sander. I shaped the entire pull from the primary stock and then just cut it free. You can knock them out in minutes.
    The Woodworking Studio

But your question was what chisel or gouge to use. If the one you have happens to be around a #2 that would work nicely. A belt sander would also make these pretty quickly , both convex and concave surfaces.
    A rasp , as you have tried will work, but as you know any type of file work takes a very steady hand so as not to rock the file ( rasp) as you work across the surface and ruin the edges leaving a less than crisp line. If you then uses sandpaper to clean up the surface , put the sandpaper on a block of some sort to keep it flat as you work it over the convex surface, and wrap it (sandpaper) around a curved surface similar to the radius you want and work the piece over it that way. Simple, but it will produce consistent pieces.
    The Woodworking Studio