Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided to go with the Delta - last couple questions

Decided to go with the Delta - last couple questions

Hi Guys,

I have been debating on the Delta 46-460 and the Grizz G0698 and have made up my mind that the Delta is really what I want / need.

I have a couple questions...
    1) Do I need the bed extension if I want to add a "Mini Monster Hollowing System"? I suppose it depends on the size of the hollow form... but if I can get by without the extension I can get the hollowing system sooner.

2) Lathe stand - anyone have the Delta stand? It looks nice, but for the price I may as well build myself a dedicated stand / bench. Which comes back to #1 as far as size.

3) deals - I have been watching for a couple weeks and the best I have seen is Amazon... any speculation on a black Friday deal? Rockler has the non-vs model on sale now but not the vs that I want. Rockler also told me that starting Dec 4th they will have a $50 gift card deal going on that this would qualify for. That pretty much accounts for tax.

Thanks guys - going to join the Delta Force with my own here shortly. I just don't want to pull the trigger a day or two early and realize my mistake ($$$).

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    2) Lathe stand - anyone have the Delta stand? It looks nice, but for the price I may as well build myself a dedicated stand / bench. Which comes back to #1 as far as size.
    #1 and #3 I cannot help you with, although I am curious about #1 myself.

I did buy the stand because, for me, it was just easier to spend the money than build something that may or may not be as good. I liked the stand because it is a very minimal footprint, allowing me to get very close to the lathe and move around the lather from the sides at a variety of angles (if that makes sense). It is heavy duty tubular steel and I found it to be very stable.

It is not height-adjustable and, being 6'4", I raised the stand on 2 pieces of 4x4. I just drilled holes down through the leg bases and connected them to the 4x4 supports using large lag screws as I recall. If I was at home right now I'd take a picture.

Overall, I do not regret getting the stand. On the other hand, I am sure you will find many who do not regret not buying it.

The stand has tool holder holes, a nice plus. Your much used tools right at your fingertips. If I had a Delta, I would seriously consider buying the stand for the holders and the reasons Justin mentioned. AND I'm way shorter than 6-4, so it was at a nice height......

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    On the other hand, I am sure you will find many who do not regret not buying it.
    I did not buy the stand, and do not regret it. There are many advantages to having some flat space around the lathe, and the ability to affix various items to areas around the lathe. I am very satisfied with my 2x4 constructed stand.

On question #1, you do not need the extension for the Monster. I have the regular (not the mini) articulated system at Randy's suggestion. That way, should I go to a larger lathe (not anticipated at this point) I could use the hollowing system on it.

For deals, I would suggest you contact Sean Ackerman at ToolNut and speak with him about the lathe to see if there are any specials going on. He has had some super deals on them in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    For deals, I would suggest you contact Sean Ackerman at ToolNut and speak with him about the lathe to see if there are any specials going on. He has had some super deals on them in the past.
    I contacted Sean and unfortunately he doesn't have any deals / specials going on or anticipated in the near future. I was hopeful.

JP

Welcome to the club! I just got mine and I have the mini...plenty of room and no extension. I wondered about the stand but just could not justify the 169$ list on it. I screwed a 2 x 10 into a benchmate type folding shop stand. bolted the Delta and added 3 cinderblocks for ballast at ~ 1.20 each... room for 1 more if I need it. She runs smooth and stable.
    I was going to wait until Christmas to get the Delta as it seemed to be 599$ rain or shine, no matter the phase of the moon; hi tide - lo tide 599$
    Local Woodworkers had a shopwide sale and I got 15% off and no shipping... If you see a sale, snatch it up.
    ps - no regrets on the 46-460!
    Happy Hunting,
    mj
    Last edited by Michael James; 11-22-2010 at 7:41 PM. Reason: spellcheck broken

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Welcome to the club! I just got mine and I have the mini...plenty of room and no extension. I wondered about the stand but just could not justify the 169$ list on it. I screwed a 2 x 10 into a benchmate type folding shop stand. bolted the Delta and added 3 cinderblocks for ballast at ~ 1.20 each... room for 1 more if I need it. She runs smooth and stable.
    I was going to wait until Christmas to get the Delta as it seemed to be 599$ rain or shine, no matter the phase of the moon; hi tide - lo tide 599$
    Local Woodworkers had a shopwide sale and I got 15% off and no shipping... If you see a sale, snatch it up.
    ps - no regrets on the 46-460!
    Happy Hunting,
    mj
    Hi MJ,

15% looks like the best deal I've seen... just stopped at Woodcraft on the way home and they told me that there is going to be a 10% off Delta tool sale on Dec 11th. Guy would hook me up now if I wanted. Being a thrifty guy, I asked if it was Woodcraft sponsored or Delta... he said Delta but not sure if it was for WC only. Now my antenna is tuned up - Amazon just reduced their price a couple days ago by $10 to 589, but you gotta add it to your cart to see the price. That puts WC w/ 10% + tax the same as Amazon shipped. I'm thinking there is a deal out there for me soon and now that I've finally decided the Delta is what I want I can hunt my bargain. - hope this doesn't violate TOS.

Dave Ramsey has really messed up my way of thinking... I woulda normally jumped before at the first $599 + free shipping I was quoted but now I NEED that super bargain. It is part of the tool collector addiction I have.

I am going to build my own bench - I've decided I will put that fundage toward the mini-monster. (I wonder if Randy is going to have a sale??? - vortex is strong).

JP

Just got the Woodcraft flyer in the mail today. Looks like 10% off, they don't go on sale very ofter. By the way I mounted mine on a work bench top. No stand, seems to work fine.

I agree. I have the Delta, and you can stabilize it just fine without the stand.

shaky stand

For what it's worth, the lathe will rock and roll on the stand if you try to turn anything with weight that is not balanced. I had to sand bag a homemade wooden bench in order to turn larger (8"-12") bowls.

I did it. Order placed, the lathe should be here by next Wednesday. Now I gotta build me a stand to give her a home when she arrives. I am pretty excited as this is the lathe I have wanted since it came out.

I see Randy's mini-monster on order next, or Jeff's steady rest, or a vaccum chuck... decisions, decisions.

Pictures to come once the package lands in Chandler.

Thanks to all for the recommendations / advice.

Jon

I just ordered mine from Amazon.com today. $589.99 but I have Amazon prime so I'll get it this Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Boyett View Post
    I just ordered mine from Amazon.com today. $589.99 but I have Amazon prime so I'll get it this Wednesday.
    Me too - except I don't have prime and didn't want to sign up for the "free" trial. I can wait a little bit longer. $589.99 with free shipping works for me.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    Me too - except I don't have prime and didn't want to sign up for the "free" trial. I can wait a little bit longer. $589.99 with free shipping works for me.

JP

Yea, Prime really is only worth it if you do a lot of shopping on Amazon like I do. I do a lot of price checking when I'm thinking about buying just about anything. If Amazon has it for the same price or less I pull the trigger since there is no sales taxes and I'll have it within two days..

Got mine today. Pretty sweet!