Thread: Some Weekend Ploughing

Some Weekend Ploughing

Using some pine leftovers to make doors for a small set of shelves I made for the basement a while ago. Very clear pine with pretty straight grain, which makes the planing easy. Shooting for stub tenons, so I went as deep as I could, which is about 5/8" with my plane.

DSCN0926.jpg DSCN0922.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

In the shot below you can't see the thin pieces of pine glued to one of the tenons I cut too thin. Might be best not to focus on the tenons at all... :-) Another mistake was not holding the plane completely upright, so one of the grooves is slightly tilted, but all in all it's not too bad.

DSCN0932.jpg

And the cleanup.

DSCN0929.jpg

Enjoy your shavings everyone!

Dontcha just love those curly ribbons of cleanly cut wood? My daughter's classroom has a pet rat, and I offered her teacher a bagful of similar shavings for bedding. "Oh no," she replied, "we don't use any fancy packing material, just plain wood chips."

Come to think of it, they might make a nice stuffing material for Christmas presents...
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Blog Entries
    When one of my daughters lived closer, she would take the shavings to the school where she teaches arts & crafts. The kids would glue them to paper bags to make puppets like those in the Fandango commercials.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)