Thread: Shop-made Air Compressor Caddy / Hose Reel

Lightbulb Shop-made Air Compressor Caddy / Hose Reel

Hi, I've tripped over my air hose for longer than I care to admit, so a hose reel was on my list of things to get for the shop. But buying one and getting on with my life is way too easy for me, If I can't over think something it ain't worth doing.
    Modeled after the hose reel from ShopNotes #41, I've mounted it to a cart with lawnmower wheels. The compressor compartment is larger than my Bostitch portable compressor so I can upgrade when neccessary, as I measured some small pancake and mini twin-tank compressors and sized it accordingly. It's all different finishes because with the exception of the black iron pipe and NPT fittings, it's made of all scrap pieces glued back together to make parts. Waste not, want not - right? I made it modular - the handle and hose reel remove if needed - as I consider this a working prototype. It works as intended, the compressor runs maybe 30 seconds more to fill the extra hose and pipe, but I can shoot a few more brads before it runs again, too.
    The hose reel mount base is tounge and grooved to slide together until the friction is just right, and the tops of the reel vertical supports (sides) separate at the seam line right at the axle hole (secured with dowel bolts) so I can lift the entire reel assy out to repair or modify. I plan on making a cleat on the back to wind up the power cord. The wheels align with the cart handle to lay down flat in the back of my wagon.
    Thanks for looking.

*Oh, I forgot to mention the upper compartment is for a custom clamshell plywood box I'm going to make to fit the space, like a systainer for air fittings, nailers, nails.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 11-22-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: change title

some additional shots...

Sketchup images...

That looks nice.

I have a nice hose reel. I'm just too lazy to use it, and my hose pretty much sits on the floor all the time unless I'm needing to sweep up around it.

Josiah, Thanks..yeah, I'm trying to force myself to be neater and more organized, we'll see if I'm successful - I won't bet on it!

Wow.

I never even THOUGHT to build one of these !

a) Great idea

b) Great execution !!!

I'm running 1/4" hose.

Seems quite tough to find just a reel (no particular interest in getting one that comes with hose, since I'm perfectly happy with the hose I bought) for 1/4" hose that DOESN'T cost at least $200

This might BE something for the DIY list.

Thanks for sharing !

Peter,

Nice job.

Your avatar reminds me of a car a guy worked for me had. Same exact car. It was even green and we called it "the booger".

He even had a decal on the widow that said "The booger" with a big green....you get the idea.

Good times.

air line swivel

I had often thought of making one of these. I was wondering what kind of fitting you used for the air line swivel where it goes into the reel assembly. Thanks in advance Jared

Hey, that's pretty nice!
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I had often thought of making one of these. I was wondering what kind of fitting you used for the air line swivel where it goes into the reel assembly. Thanks in advance Jared
    jared, I used this part from McMaster-Carr:
    4480K11 - Straight Swivel Air Hose Fitting Female X Male for 1/4" Pipe In stock at $3.73 Each

It was chosen for price, and I may change it out for a heavy-duty version from a pressure washer. Northern Tool has some of these, they look like this:

But they start at about $30 for the made in China version to many times more for a made in USA version.
    The important thing is to make sure you get a full-flow type, as the 90degree ones are more restrictive, thats why my 90degree fitting is not the swivel, the swivel is in the straight section and flows freely.

-pete

I wound up using the HF reel that comes with 30' of 3/8" hose. Strip off the hose and give it away, and then put a 100' poly hose from HD on the reel.

12. Why can't I view attachment?

I'll fix that tonight

I have a large stand alone compressor but may give the hose reel a try and wall mount it next to the compressor. Thanks for the post and pictures.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"