Thread: I realize now that I'm a plow plane nut...

I realize now that I'm a plow plane nut...

Whilst sending an e-mail asking for a total to an e-bay seller for more plow plane parts the realization hit me... I'm a total, bona-fide plow, plough, grooving or whatever other name you want to call it, Nut. And I'm not talking 45's here. Once my mail gets here I'll have

Record #044
    Record #043
    Stanley #238
    Stanley #248A

I have to machine the spare cutters for the two Stanley planes as I only have one 7/32 between them, but they are simple. Also despite what Pat says on the B&G I rather do like the screw clamps for the Stanley cutters. Not as tool less to adjust as the lever cam but sweet none the less.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Seems to me you're just beginning. You've got all these other possibilities:

Stanley 50*
    Stanley 45*
    Stanley 46
    Stanley 55
    the Miller's patent planes (save your pennies)
    woodie plow planes

and then there's the Lee Valley small plow and the rumored larger one.

They are great tools. I just used my LV plow yesterday to make a planing board for some small molding; worked beautifully.

*or Record or other variant

Right With You

Current Plows

2-Greenslade Wedge Lock (1 handled, 1 unhandled)
    1-Auburn Tool Screw Lock unhandled
    1-Ohio Tool/Sandusky Tool #97 Screw Lock handled
    Record 044
    Record 043

Sold

LV Small Plow Plane
    Unmarked Screw Lock handled

Had 7 at one time until I came to my senses.

What, no match planes?? You need a 48 and 49 right away!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Seems to me you're just beginning. You've got all these other possibilities:

Stanley 50*
    Stanley 45*
    Stanley 46
    Stanley 55
    the Miller's patent planes (save your pennies)
    woodie plow planes

and then there's the Lee Valley small plow and the rumored larger one.

*or Record or other variant
    And Marples, Sorby, Rapier, Carter, Davleco, Sharmanco, Voskov, Lewin, Howkins, Sargent, Siegley ...

I love plough plane nuts - obsession loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Frampton View Post
    And Marples, Sorby, Rapier, Carter, Davleco, Sharmanco, Voskov, Lewin, Howkins, Sargent, Siegley ...

I love plough plane nuts - obsession loves company.
    Alf, if you weren't so sweet about it, you'd be mean - dangling all those prospects in front of this poor innocent man. At least you didn't mention your website, http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combinationplanes.html. I mean, THAT would have been outright cruel.

And then of course, the wooden match planes to go with the wooden plows! They're all very satisfying to use. It's those lovely piles of narrow curly shavings.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Excellent, to answer some points brought up thus far...

I'm not very taken with wooden plows (okay maybe I'll build a wooden screw great wheel plow) or the stanley 45, 55 group. I do like the skew stanley plow that's the 46 right? I love the Hammer kits for the Millers patent plow...it's the sexiest tool I think I've seen to date. And the LV plow is pretty cool too.

Sean, rest at ease, I do own a 49...I classify them differently because I view plows as having adjustable width and depth and width of cut. Grooving for fixed groove planes (like drawer bottom) and T&G for well tongue and groove.

I do have a closed tote wooden tongue plane for 1" thick stock. I'll have to get around to making a mate though. I'd also like to make some drawer bottom planes, and dado planes out of wood...endless, as any proper woodworker's "want to do" list should be.

Maybe I should post a list of all the tools I'd like to build and have Creekers rank them and do a tutorial about each in turn? Would something like that be of interest?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Fine, I just didn't want to you miss out on a similar animal, but it seems you already knew the joys of match planing.

Anyway, I love my 248A.

I git it on Aldren Watson's recommendation. ;-) Aldren know his sh .. er .. stuff.

Ah, and I've gotten mine after reading about you using yours for raised panel work, I think it was you anyway and I think it was raised panel work. But now seriously, I'm done buying tools for several months. Really, I have to save and try to decide between a LN #9 or #51, I'm left handed, but use a lot of made for righty tools. I just don't know what will be better for shooting.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Really, I have to save and try to decide between a LN #9 or #51, I'm left handed, but use a lot of made for righty tools. I just don't know what will be better for shooting.
    I'm a southpaw, too, and having struggled with right-handed scissors since kindergarten I'm supporting lefty-friendly tool-makers. The Lee-Valley joinery planes are a perfect example -- not having to work the "right" way is a real pleasure.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Well that's just it, I can't cut worth a damn with left handed scissors. I think you'd say I've got serious issues watching me cut with my left hand.

Although I can use tools almost ambidextrously, I can't saw right handed and it's certainly not as comfortable to plane right handed, unless it's plowing or something. I was hoping to try out the 51 at their hand tool event, but they didn't have it. Now I don't know whether I want to take that risk when the time comes, or just get it, sell it if i don't like it and get the 9 instead.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Ah, and I've gotten mine after reading about you using yours for raised panel work, I think it was you anyway and I think it was raised panel work. But now seriously, I'm done buying tools for several months. Really, I have to save and try to decide between a LN #9 or #51, I'm left handed, but use a lot of made for righty tools. I just don't know what will be better for shooting.
    The No. 9 is a much more versatile plane. You can use it on a shooting board for sure, but also a mitre jack, or just on it's own as a massive low angle plane. The adjustable mouth is also a nice feature. The 51 is a much more specialized tool.

Josh

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good points Josh, thank you for the advice, another one of your great features. Also Congratulations on the Schwarz-perlative, I hope fame is treating you well.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop