Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Hybrid Table Saw

Best Hybrid Table Saw

Just starting the process of looking. I'm thinking my budget is going to be somewhere around $1000. I'm certainly keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a used higher end saw, but just in case I don't run across anything, a quality hybrid saw will more than fit my needs. What is the best deal out there?

You'll get lots of answers. Here's my opinion:

The best 'deal' around $1000 is the G1023 or G1023R cabinet saws from Grizzly. They require 220v, though.

The Jet JPS10 Proshop is a great hybrid if you are limited to 110v.

Ridgid is also coming out with (if it has not already launched) a replacement for it's recalled R4511 hybrid. The new saw is R4512 and looks like it learned a lot of lessons. At $500, you'd have a lot of $$ left over for a lot of gadgets.

+1 on Prashun's post. the ridgid will, stamped steel wings not withstanding, probably provide a good deal of value and performance for the price. if i had the room, i'd like to look at the griz units. the products, and the company, consistently get high marks.

and watch out for companies that are trading on past reputations, like jet and powermatic. the curent offerings from these companies just aren't up to the standards of their older predecessors.

I recently purchased the new Grizzly G0715P hybrid. It was at my door for less then $1000.00. So far, i have to give this saw high marks. I like everything about it to date.

Steel City - all other things being equal, the + for the SC is cabinet mounted trunnions, like a true cabinet saw.

I had a Crafstsman 22124 which had the same features {built by SC's Orion subsidiary} and was just as good. They now have a granite top version, which if it still has the same guts would be a good choice.

Which hibrid?

Ditto for the Craftsman 22140. Own it. Love it.

Oops!

Make that 22124!

Todd - I agree with Prashun on a Grizzly G1023RL if you've got 220v available...it'll exceed budget a little, but you'll get a lot more saw ($1125/$1219 shipped).

If you're restricted to 110v, some of the newer top hybrids are the Grizzly G0715P and G0661. General International has a new granite top GI 50-240GT, and a new cast iron 50-200R M1. The new Craftsman 22116 granite top hybrid replaced the venerable 22124. Steel City has a couple of new models that might be worth a look too. All the newer models now offer riving knives instead of standard splitters, but you'll still find some "NOS" older models from Jet, Delta, and others that don't have a riving knife.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

How about the Dewalt DW746? It has been discontinued, but you can find them around. On toolcritic.com it is top rated under the contractor category, but is considered a hybrid really....

I am buying one off CL, but haven't picked it up yet so can't comment from personal experience, but read through a lot of reviews.

FWIW, most people around here are fairly pleased with the saws they own - whether they're contractors, hybrids, or cabinets. So, don't get stressed that you'll make a 'bad' choice; the field has many winners.

I forgot about the Polar Bear series from Grizzly. This is an introductory line that is discounted because it's new and because it's (I believe) trying to serve the hobbyist market a little more aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    FWIW, most people around here are fairly pleased with the saws they own - whether they're contractors, hybrids, or cabinets. So, don't get stressed that you'll make a 'bad' choice; the field has many winners.

I forgot about the Polar Bear series from Grizzly. This is an introductory line that is discounted because it's new and because it's (I believe) trying to serve the hobbyist market a little more aggressively.
    I've actually been looking at the Grizzly Polar Bear saw as well as the Granite Top Steel City / Craftsman. I would jump on the Ridgid 4512 in a heartbeat were it not for the stamped steel wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sherman View Post
    How about the Dewalt DW746? It has been discontinued, but you can find them around. On toolcritic.com it is top rated under the contractor category, but is considered a hybrid really....

I am buying one off CL, but haven't picked it up yet so can't comment from personal experience, but read through a lot of reviews.
    I have a DW 746 and am pleased with it. I got a good deal on it from someone who had health problems and hadn't used it hardly at all. It has the 50" fence/ rail extension table, sliding table, mobile base, and outfeed table. Got a real good deal on it. I don't particularly like the fence. It accurate enough, but I would prefer a Biesemeyer.

If I were in the market today, I would only buy the 746 at a heavy discount because it has been discontinued. Jet's hybrid was the only one available at the time I got mine and my 746 had a lot of accessories. I would prefer a 3 hp cabinet saw if I had 220v.

Todd

I am extremely happy with my General International Model 50-220. The fence is a little weak, and took some "tweaking".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Steel City - all other things being equal, the + for the SC is cabinet mounted trunnions, like a true cabinet saw.

I had a Crafstsman 22124 which had the same features {built by SC's Orion subsidiary} and was just as good. They now have a granite top version, which if it still has the same guts would be a good choice.
    +1 on Steel City. I bought their 3HP steel top cabinet saw for around $1,300. The fence is as good as I have seen, comes with a riving knife, cabinet mounted trunions and is a very good saw which I am very much pleased. It's only downfall is that it doesn't have a "shroud" around the blade to help with dust collection like some of the more expensive saws do, but still does a very good job. According to a test in Woodworker's Journal February 2010, the G091 from Grizzly didn't fair very good in this catagory as well, perhaps due the lack of a shroud. The SC is the same saw as the Grizzly for the money and you can't go wrong with either as customer service is outstanding from both companies (I also have a Grizzly bandsaw). Are there better saws out there? Sure, but they cost a lot more money. For hobby type use my saw is the last one I will need and IMHO one of the best bargains out there for the money. My advice would be to get to where you can get your hands on one to check it out before you buy then you will be content with your decision.
    Best of Luck,
    Kevin

I'm very happy with my Jet ProShop saw, I liked that I didn't have to wire for 220v to get started with the saw, but I can rewire it for 220 when I'm ready to upgrade the wiring.