Thread: ebony letter opener

ebony letter opener

You guys like woodcarving?Or should i say sculpting.Check out this letter opener i made for a friend.In celebration of his twenty years sobriety.The wood is macassar ebony with a wax polish.
    I am also working on a santa clause carving ill post something when its done.Thanks for looking. Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is very nice. I don't think my eyes would let me do that.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Now THAT's cool!! I want one.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

nice

Nice work Andrew and congratulations to your friend's milestone.

Wow cool! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    You guys like woodcarving?Or should i say sculpting.Check out this letter opener i made for a friend.In celebration of his twenty years sobriety.The wood is macassar ebony with a wax polish.
    I am also working on a santa clause carving ill post something when its done.Thanks for looking. Andrew
    Huge congratulations to your friends mile marker. Thats a lot of chips. Ask him to tell Bill hi for me.
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

7. Really nice work bud! I haven't done a lot of carving and certainly none in Ebony! The details look great and must have been a real challenge in such hard wood.

Give your friend our heartiest congrats on a truly worthwhile milestone. That's a real accomplishment!

Pete

Thanks for commenting on my work.After my friends recent divorce all he talks about is dating and his salt water reef tanks.So i thought he would get a kick out of a mermaid letter opener.I presented the gift to him yesterday he got all choked up.It so happens he recently acquired his grandmothers letter opener.He was disappointed to find it broken after making the trip from the Washington state to calif.
    As far caving the ebony it wasnt to bad once i got the gouges sharp.I used a flex shaft attached to a sewing machine motor and foot pedal to help hog out the shape and sculpt the face.
    Here are some progress pic if your interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats interesting. What is that tool with the cord on your bench. Is it like a dremel or something?
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

If this is a stupid question, I am sorry, but I thought ebony was one of

those woods that was not supposed to be handled a lot.

Toxic sap or something?