Thread: How to laser engrave a thermos

How to laser engrave a thermos

Hi all. I have a customer who brought me this thermos to have engraved:
    http://shop.timhortons.com/Catalogue...8&productId=17
    They want the bottom part which is stainless steel engraved. I am doing a dry run on this and the machine is going further than what I have it set up for. Is it the machine? Me? Or the shape of the thermos?

Thanks in advance
    Seaside Engraving & Embroidery
    Barudan 1 head embroidery machine
    Epilog Legend 45 watt, CorelDraw 12

If it's going further, then you must have your settings wrong. If you are using an Epilog the Centre/Centre is the thing to use. Failing that, in your Corel file, don't forget to measure from the edge of the page or where the edge is at 0/0
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks Frank, but I'm a bit lost. Centre/centre? I have it set up to the length which is 11.25" and the engraving area is 3". I put the lettering to where I want it to go and it goes over 4".

P.s. sorry for taking so long responding. I posted this before taking off for a photo club meeting.

Julie,

I've read this three times and I'm confused. Is your page set up as 3" wide and 11.25" long, and your printer driver also set up to the same dimensions?

If you were to engrave a plain piece of paper, can you see where the engraving will be? If so, then simply place the thermos on that spot and re-focus. It should end up in the right place.

OR are you using the rotary? That would change everything.

I don't understand what you mean by (it goes over 4")... do you mean the lettering is moved over or stretched or starts at the 4" mark?

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hi Dee
    Yes, the page is set up that way. I'm using the rotary attachment. When I'm doing glassware that is how I set up the page. I find it easier that way. The letter is stretched over the 4". This has me confused because this hasn't happened before.

Hi Julie,

If the lettering is stretching then you might have some slipping, do the letters have gaps in them? If that's the case, you might want to try Frank's technique of putting a small sandbag inside to add some weight to the thermos or putting masking tape around the mouth and bottom for more "grippage".

Keep us posted! dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hi Julie

Are you doing the dry run using the red dot pointer? also are you using raster or vector mode?
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

I never even thought of slippage. I'm only engraving two words onto it. I'll give it a try of weighing down. Thanks

Hi Mike. Yes, I'm doing the dry run with the red dot pointer. I have it set to raster.

Hi Julie

Keep in mind when you raster engrave the head overtravels the actual engraving area so if your engraving is 3" long I would imagine the actual head travel would be about 4". One thing you may want to try is draw a box with a hair line (no fill) around your text and use vector cut to do a dry run with the red dot pointer for the placement. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mike Christen; 11-25-2010 at 1:53 PM.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Blog Entries
    Or wrap the thermos in painter's tape, lower the power, and do a real test run...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Nickerson View Post
    <snip> I'll give it a try of weighing down. <snip>
    Fill it with sand NOT water.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Wow thanks guys for all of the help
    Got lots of sand here so I'll give that a go.