Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gift for a one year old?

I made two of these step stool / chairs for my daughters when they were small. They were a big hit, besides being a stool and a seat, they were a incorporated in a lot of play time. I probably have 6 or so of them out there as gifts to other kids, and they've been well used. I've always just used a pine 1 x 12, any other woods would work, pine is light weight enough for little ones to move around. They're basically 12" or 12-3/4" cubes, the half blind dovetails dress it up a little, but a dadoed joint between the top and the sides holds up well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rash View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to make a step stool. Does anyone have any plans for one? If not I'm sure I can find something on the internet. Bill do you have plans for those pull behind dogs? I think I would like to make one of those too. Thanks again.
    Our 16 mo baby is dragging step stools around to climb up and watch the kitchen action, etc.

A small chair might be nice, too.

How about this project from popular woodworking--the back of the seat slips down to turn it into a low step stool:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...at_Step_Stool/

maybe for the 2-year mark:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/05-8...ous-Toy-Trucks
    (and lots of other places that sell WW books)

Matt

Crane?

I made a few cranes from a Wood magazine article. Modified it a bit but they are kind of fun. I don't remember the issue but I am sure it can be found really easily. Started to get the hang of it by the third one. This was the first so I learned a lot and I am sure forgot a lot since the last. Their design for the spools were terrible so if you decide to go this route then let me know and I can take some close up pictures of one that I made for a friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a great thread, lots of good stuff.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rash View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to make a step stool. Does anyone have any plans for one? .......
    I didn't use plans for the one I built for my grandbabies.I wish I had pictures........

Basically, I started with two "loops" of uprights/handrails. These were as tall as the final handrails needed to be, as deep as the stairs would be front-to-back, and as thick as the stock I was using (3/4"). I used bridle joints to make the rectangles, and a roundover bit to make it very easy to grip.

At the end of this step, I had two rectangles.

Then I started placing structural pieces onto/across those frames, such that I could eventually add stair-steps between them. These structural pieces were glued and screwed to the rectangles.

When I was done with this step, I had a framework -- the two rectangles were vertical, and the structural pieces actually made up horizontal rectangles that held the left one to the right one. Each horizontal rectangle was placed such that it would be the support for a stair-tread.

Then I added stair treads. This added some anti-racking stability, but only in one direction. So I added a piece that was under the highest step (so it wouldn't interfere with use) to eliminate racking in the other direction.

Then I tested the "tip-ability" of the entire piece. I was a bit disappointed, so I added some extended 'feet'. These were triangles (with some added scallops along the hypotenuse, for style), added to the bottom corners of the first rectangles, to extend the horizontal dimension, and add stability.

Then I went to the craft/art store, and bought some appliques of cartoon characters. Those, and some finishing, and the babies were happy.

I tried to make the height of the top step such that a potty-training toddler would be able to have their feet on the top step, while their backside was on the toilet seat -- it seems to be a more secure/safe feeling. I have no idea how well I met that goal, since my grandkids are ten hours away.

But I do remember how grateful their mother was