Thread: How do you cut Flex Hose?

How do you cut Flex Hose?

Wow that wire is tough! My side cutters were just too small for the job and so were the other pliers I have. Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    Andrew

Nippers

May need to make a tool run and pick up a bigger pair of side cutters. Sounds like a good excuse to buy tools.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Nippers make an excellent nail puller too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lange View Post
    May need to make a tool run and pick up a bigger pair of side cutters. Sounds like a good excuse to buy tools.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    thanks Gary, Leo!

I always reach for my linesman pliers. Larger than normal pliers with side cutters on them. Long handles to get good leverage. They have been a nice find from the middle of the road. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Sidecutters and linesman pliers aren't meant for cutting steel wire unless specified by the manufacturer for that duty.

A small pair of bolt cutters, pliers for steel wire or a Dremel with an abrasive disk are ideal........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I always reach for my linesman pliers. Larger than normal pliers with side cutters on them. Long handles to get good leverage. They have been a nice find from the middle of the road. Jim.
    Ditto. They work well as a light duty hammer too. I have mine out all the time and use them for all sorts of things, including cutting small screws (#8 or 10, say). I've been abusing mine for many years without noticing any real damage or wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sidecutters and linesman pliers aren't meant for cutting steel wire unless specified by the manufacturer for that duty.

A small pair of bolt cutters, pliers for steel wire or a Dremel with an abrasive disk are ideal........Regards, Rod.
    I guess I didn't read that cause I use my Kliens to cut everything including 1/4" all-thread and cable.

Blog Entries
    I use regular ole 8" ChannelLock side cutters. I do get the wire about 2/3 of the way back into the jaws. Then I use scissors to cut the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I guess I didn't read that cause I use my Kliens to cut everything including 1/4" all-thread and cable.
    Alan, it depends upon the pliers you've selected from Klein.

I have sidecutters and linesman pliers from them that are rated for that service, and I have semi-flush and flush cutting sidecutters from them that are for soft wire only.

The Klein documentation indicates what types of material can be cut by which pliers.

Regards, Rod.

I cut the rubber with utility knife and use klein linesman pliers and it cuts like butter...if if you don't have the, get em...they are very heavy duty pliers and will never break...if they do take em back, klein warranties them for life.

John G
    Last edited by John Grabowski; 11-26-2010 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Klein D2000-9NE

• Cuts ACSR, screws, nails and most hardened wire.
    • High-leverage design. Rivet is closer to the cutting edge for 46% greater cutting and gripping power than other plier designs.
    • Streamlined design with sure-gripping, cross-hatched knurled jaws.
    • 2000 Series - Heavy-duty cutting knives. Cuts ACSR, screws, nails and most hardened wire. Features combination polished and black-oxide finish.

About $40, but they'll cut anything you can get them around and you'll never wear them out. I've had the same pair at work for 20 years and they get used hard. (They're also handy when I'm changing your electric meter and you decide that you just have to let Fido out right this minute)

Use Cable Cutters

I make up lots of High Pressure stainless steel braided hose for our ROV system. We use cable cutters to cut through the hoses. It cuts clean and easy. You can also use a hacksaw if you like to grunt it. Just wrap tape around the area to cut to keep the ends from fraying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been using sheet metal shears... But that's because they are handy...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...