Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen Turners.....I need some help.......

pens

Ken
    that guardian pen that PSI has is really large in size
    probably the biggest i've ever seen
    haven't made one yet tho.
    with a nice dense wood it should make it hard to lift
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

[QUOTE=David E Keller;1567648]Here's another option for the kit:
    www.pennstateind.com/store/guardian-pen-kits.html
    I've not turned them, but I know they are beefy. I also like the look, and click pens are popular among medical/dental folks because they can be operated with one hand. Stabilized woods tend to be fairly heavy across the board which allows more variety beyond the naturally dense timbers.
    QUOTE]

I've turned the guardian and it a very large pen, I like the guardian jr better, and the rubber grip is great cuz I hate (sorry Keller) the metal at the writing end....too slipperey for me. It does not have that "prestigious" look as the others do, but it's a workhorse.
    Last edited by Michael James; 11-26-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarity

If you want heavy...Tru-stone is more dense than the woods I've done. Similarly shaped Jr Statesman II: 52 grams in desert ironwood with CA finish versus 56 grams in banded malachite Tru-stone. Several of the Tru-stones turn as easily as acrylics -- randbcrafts.com has a good selection of Tru-stone blanks and Richard's turning ease descriptions are accurate in my experience. Also, much easier to get a nice polish on Tru-stone than CA if you don't have a fair amount of experience applying/polishing CA.

Edit to add: David had a good point re stabilized wood -- a stabilized Amboyna burl JSII similar to the others weighs 54 grams.
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 11-26-2010 at 10:21 AM.

I have some Ironwood too if you'd like to try. I havent used any yet, but would be happy to send a piece to you ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McFarland View Post
    If you want heavy...Tru-stone is more dense than the woods I've done. Similarly shaped Jr Statesman II: 52 grams in desert ironwood with CA finish versus 56 grams in banded malachite Tru-stone. Several of the Tru-stones turn as easily as acrylics -- randbcrafts.com has a good selection of Tru-stone blanks and Richard's turning ease descriptions are accurate in my experience. Also, much easier to get a nice polish on Tru-stone than CA if you don't have a fair amount of experience applying/polishing CA.

Edit to add: David had a good point re stabilized wood -- a stabilized Amboyna burl JSII similar to the others weighs 54 grams.

Here is a truestone I recenty completed and yes it does some heft to the kit.

You could always go to metals to add heft.

John T.

Thanks everyone for your generous offers......advice and suggestions.

I placed several orders today....it's electron Friday isn't it?

When I finish turning the numerous pen kits I ordered, I'll sort out the ones for him, and the other kids and grandkids will get Christmans presents.

My two sons are so different and I love them both.

My oldest son, a deputy sheriff, throws in some serious dart leagues. When he was over helping work on my roof last weekend, he requested I turn some darts for him. He wants something lighter than he could find online.....10 grams IIRC. So, I ordered dart kits and they are out for delivery right now. The "light" blanks I ordered for them arrived earlier this morning....

Now I'm waiting for these orders to turn a HEAVIER pen for the youngest son.

Thanks again for everyone's generous offers and suggestions!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-26-2010 at 4:30 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Ken.

I made a "Churchill" pen from a kit I got from Rockler. It is a good heavy pen with a screw-on cap. I just bought a couple more Churchill kits at a new Rockler store that just opened in North Dallas. You can take a look-see here. While I haven't made any of the other large pens for comparison, I regard the Churchill as a Man's Pen.
    Best Regards, Ken

Folks,

Yesterday I ordered a lot of kits, thick CA, plastic polish, blanks and a steel 60º live center as my aluminum one is suspect.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their offered generosity of blanks and blank materials and suggestons! Your offered generosity is certainly appreciated!

Thanks again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

9. Ken,

An Idea for your Dart throwing son, I made a pen using a Slimline kit and three knurled brass darts that went down real well over here. The need to use three cause the hardened steel point is set in deep.

I drilled out the dart bodies ,glued in the brass slleves making an easy to use and refil pen. see post Three Darts Modified 24th June this year or as you say over there 6/24/10. For a rugged appearence make a pen from ReBar same method.

Regards Peter.