Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Laser burning issue

Epilog Laser burning issue

I am using a Legend laser with Vista 32 Bit and trying to laser wooden objects. The objects look awesome but there is dots that are appearing all around the objects that should not be there. In illustrator it looks white around object but they still show up. I have drawn a white box behind the letters and the dots still show up. I am a little troubled my this, I never have this problem when I use the univerasal laser that we have. any help would be a life saver.

One thought is that your color mode is CMYK instead of RGB.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thank you

Doug I just tried it and has no effect. When I send from Illustrator should i use a certain type of RGB. For instanced Adobe RGB 1998 or the default option with the driver?

RGB type shouldn't make a difference.

A few more thoughts:
    1) going from CMYK to RGB maintains the color separation settings of CMYK. For example RGB black may convert to 35,31,31 depending on your settings. It will not be 0,0,0. This may also be affecting your white. It may be 1,1,1 which would generate the dot pattern you describe.
    2) I would not use white in a line art illustration. I would use transparent and knock out vector lines instead of masking them.

try not to hide information

I have learned that a vector line "hidden" by a raster will still show up in printing. Just because a line is not seen does not mean it is not there in Illustrator.
    Josh Richard
    Technology Education Teacher
    Gravograph LS 100 laser, AXYZ Millennium router table 3' X 3'
    Adobe Design applications, SolidWorks
    200+ high schoolers asking to make cool stuff

Are you by any chance doing a photograph?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

If you post a picture and/or the file it would help greatly in diagnosing the problem.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Gone for a few hours

thank you for all of the responses. Using any image all of them rasters I get the dots I will look at the setting on the driver for the laser. Thank you all

picture

sorry this is the best i could do
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it's "greyscaling" to me. Is this a file made from scratch or one that is taken from internet, scanner, imported etc....One way to tell is to bring it into PP and use the eyedropper in a "supposed" white area, this would tell you if the white is correct and not a varying shade of grey??

Bruce

yeh, there's definitely something in the image which the print driver is interpreting as something other than pure white.

I like Bruce's idea for diagnosing the problem. Also try another file in Illustrator, but draw it yourself from scratch, a couple of letters on a completely white field, and check that the greyscale reads 0%. See what happens when you print it.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Roger that I will try it now.

Also, if you are placing a bitmap, make sure the bitmap is RGB, the background color is 0,0,0 and the format is a TIFF.

I'd also experiment with Object:Flatten Transparency. Flatten it and see if that helps.

Also, if the text is vector, I'd outline it just to get rid of a variable for error.

Sometimes simply adjusting the brightness and contrast will enable you to get rid of the phantom white background problems.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hey Tom,

Are you using Corel Draw X5 by chance?
    If so go to Epilogs site and they will tell you what you need to do to fix that problem. Its a setting in Corel.
    Hope this helps.