Thread: TSP for Prepping Kitchen Cabinets?

TSP for Prepping Kitchen Cabinets?

Hi All,

I have a friend of mine who has 20 year old kitchen cabinets, stained, clear lacquered stile and rail with a rasied panel. For 20 year old cabinets, they're in fairly good shape, just dents and a few scratches. He went to the BORG store and the woman at the paint counter told him he didn't have to sand them down, he could just wash them with TSP and then re-stain them. He asked me about this, I told him I'd never heard of this, but I'd check with you guys and see if any of you had heard of this, all he really wants to do is spruce them up.

Does this sound feasible to you guys?

Thanks

Tell your friend the advice was worth exactly what he paid for it.....

In my limited experience TSP is used to clean a surface prior to painting, as it does not leave any residue behind. I have typically used it to wipe down walls before I paint them. I don't think your friend will have any luck using it as a stripper, as it is not a stripper.

Sanding or chemical stripper is the only way I know of to remove the clear coat prior to refinishing.

Rob

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought...

Couple of points. First a when refinishing kitchen cabintry, a throrough degreasing/cleaning is absolutely necessary. TSP is an excellent cleaner. However, in and of itself, it does not provide a proper surface for the application of a new finish.

If re-staining is in the plan, you must chemically strip off the prior finish. Stains require virgin wood to be properly absorpted and to color evenly. Sanding does not do an adequate job of survface cleaning and preparation.
    Howie.........

The advice didn't intend it to used as a stripper, but as a cleaner. Although in strong solutions, it will actually strip a finish. As a cleaner it should leave a good surface and it may actually degloss it to some extent. Sanding would however be a good idea, a good thorough sanding.

Wouldn't stain on a finished surface be a glaze of sorts?

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Sort of...

The problem is, it doesn't penetrate, so it really doesn't "dry", and when it does, it's usually so sticky it's worthless - ask me how I know...

Re-read Howard's post # 5 above. In my experience it is nearly impossible to develop a nice new color by staining previously stained cabinets even after you have sanded or chemically stripped off the top coat. You can remove the top coat and enhance or darken the existing color - say from cherry to mahogany color but not go in a lighter direction as in from walnut to maple. So your choices after stripping chemically and/or thoroughly sanding) are: a) to stain darker by degrees to your satisfaction b) paint, c) top coat with one of those pre stained urethane top coats. Stay tuned for more opinions .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge