Thread: Grain pattern sapele

Grain pattern sapele

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am trying to learn about cuts and grain. I have some 8/4 sapele and someone described some of it as being "ribbon cut"? What is exactly is that and how does it differ from quarter sawn? Pasted below are pics of a smaller piece I jointed and planed - showing face, edge and end. I have another piece that is more "straight grain" with almost straight through slightly curving grain (like this) and I am not sure which is the "ribbon" cut or both. As for the cut shown, it is beautiful wood, this sapele, but from a design perspective I really can't say if I like this pattern for table/desk legs. Is it too wild? Would this be better suited to being resawn for panels, a top, a box...? I suppose this is very subjective, but opinions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ribbon cut is a description sometimes used with tropical hardwoods. It describes those stripes you seen on the face of the board. Physically, the board is quarter- or rift-sawn. The board end you show is rift.

Thanks Jamie. I should have known this. Can I ask you, or anyone, would you use this kind of grain pattern on legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Thanks Jamie. I should have known this. Can I ask you, or anyone, would you use this kind of grain pattern on legs?
    I'd don't see a problem with it. It's an esthetic choice for you.

I do like to use riftsawn lumber on legs, so that adjacent faces look similar. If you use flatsawn lumber, one face is flatsawn and the adjacent faces are quartersawn, so they look different.

Right. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making one of those rookie mistakes! Thanks for all your help.

Found this nice image that makes things easy. Now I get it.