Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220V multi tap?? receptacle

Blog Entries

220V multi tap?? receptacle

I currently have three machines ( Griz G0490X Jointer , Griz G0453Z Planer, and Rikon 10-345 Bandsaw) that I am always unplugging and plugging into the same drop cord receptacle (Nema 6-20R). Is there a receptacle or box that is appropriate to keep all three plugged into? I never run them at the same time.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

I'm sure it is not legal but if you only run one at a time you cannot cause a problem.I had your situation. bought three outlets and a box they all could fit in and series wired them. hooked one to the power and modified a solid cover to fit. worked great until I rebuilt the shop and was able to rewire.

As long as the upstream circuit breaker or fuse (and the wiring) is sized per the receptacle ratings and all receptacles have the same rating, I don't think it is an NEC violation. I'm not aware of any commercially-made products that have multiple 240 V outlets (a 240 V power strip?), but as Bernie says, you can probably put something similar in place by just having multiple receptacles on the same circuit. This is actually what I am planning in the near future in my garage.

This is done all the time at 120 V, of course.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I ran conduit to a box with a single (legal per code) outlet. Then I ran short (3" ) conduit from it to another box with an outlet, then same thing to a third. Like you, I am a 1 man hobbyist and never run more than 1 machine at a time. Easy to get back to code by removing the additional boxes.

James

Like many, I operate a “one-man, one-machine-on-at-a-time” wood shop. The shop has a 220 receptacle that powered the Uni-saw.

Well I soon tired of unplugging and plugging in the saw or the jointer, the planer, or the disc/belt sander when I wanted to utilize them.

So in a rare moment of inspiration, I fabricated a 12’ long power strip that has 4 twist lock receptacles, connected by EMT. Securely fastened a 12’ long piece of 1x 6” to the wall and mounted the EMT and receptacles to it. To use, plug the power cord into the pre-existing 220 receptacle. When done for the day, unplug the power cord and all the machines are “dead”.

If necessary, just remove half a dozen or so screws an the whole shebang is off the wall.

The most expensive items were the twist lock plugs and receptacles. The EMT and the metal boxes were relatively in expensive as was the 10 gauge wire, purchased by the foot from a bulk roll.

Nothing in the NEC prevents multiple 220 rect. (within limits as to the number) on a 220 circuit. From electric supply houses you can ORDER 220 volt duplex recpts. But be holding on to the counter when you ask the price. I put two in one double box, using a blank cover, hole sawed out to fit them.

Yes, it can be done. I have several 240v circuits in my shop that have more than one outlet for convenience, although most are dedicated. Simply split the circuit in a j-box and branch to each 240v receptacle you need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave. I only have one machine circuit in my shop, a multi-wire branch circuit with a 120Volt and 240 Volt duplex receptacle sharing a 4 inch square box.

I have 5 of them spaced along the shop at appropriate intervals.

It's a very common approach to installations.

Regards, Rod.

Dave,

I had two (2) 30 amp 220 V circuits installed in my shop. I went back and changed one breaker to 20 amp for my 2HP dust collector. The other 30 amp circuit ended up being run to a small panel with three (3) 20 amp breakers to outlets mounted off the panel and used for my 2 HP Powermatic 3520b, 2 HP jointer, 1 1/2 HP table saw, and 2 HP air compressor. I unplug the Powermatic when not in use and that outlet is used for the jointer. There is almost no chance that I will use the jointer, table saw, or lathe at the same time, and any of those and the air compressor are well under the 30 amp service to the small panel and all the equipment is on a separate 20 amp breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Nothing in the NEC prevents multiple 220 rect. (within limits as to the number) on a 220 circuit. From electric supply houses you can ORDER 220 volt duplex recpts. But be holding on to the counter when you ask the price. I put two in one double box, using a blank cover, hole sawed out to fit them.
    The exemptions in 210.8.A for non-GFCI receptacles in garages only apply for dedicated use circuits (either inaccessible or always having a plug in them). It's sort of up to the inspector but in 2/3 cities I've added 240V circuits the inspectors gave me the choice of removing all but one outlet on each circuit or installing a 2-pole GFCI breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mahmood View Post
    The exemptions in 210.8.A for non-GFCI receptacles in garages only apply for dedicated use circuits (either inaccessible or always having a plug in them). It's sort of up to the inspector but in 2/3 cities I've added 240V circuits the inspectors gave me the choice of removing all but one outlet on each circuit or installing a 2-pole GFCI breakers.
    There's nothing in the NEC that would require you to have GFCI protection on 240v circuits. If you read 210.8, it's all about 125v circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    There's nothing in the NEC that would require you to have GFCI protection on 240v circuits. If you read 210.8, it's all about 125v circuits.
    That's my experience. My electrician wired 8 240V outlets on four circuits, no GFCI. But he went a little nuts and put a GFCI outlet in every 120V box (with a second, non-GFCI outlet there also).

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    But he went a little nuts and put a GFCI outlet in every 120V box (with a second, non-GFCI outlet there also).
    The one advantage that installation gives you is that - if a GFCI trips - it's only going to take out that 1 pair of duplex receptacles and not everything. Otherwise it seems like a waste of expensive GFCI receptacles to me when you only needed 1 to protect the whole circuit.

Wouldnt be a big deal to just gang up some boxes at your current receptacle location and install as many receptacles as you need in that one location. It would be no different than having a 2, 4, 6, or 8, gang box full of receptacles on the back of your bench. Just allows for many tools to be plugged in, if you run too many at once the breaker trips.

As has been said, the key is the breaker is sized appropriately for the wire feeding the circuit.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Yeah, that's true. In my case I always install L14 receptacles so I can get 120V for task lights at machines but the last inspector I dealt with regarding this wouldn't budge even when I showed him that the lights would be hardwired with no 120V outlets. Of course, the same inspector also made me put green wirenuts on all of the ground splices (seriously), bury a second ground rod without measuring the ground resistance with one, and demonstrate that the receptacle boxes had sufficient volume so he probably had other issues. Thanks,