Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Press--benchtop vs floor

I prefer the floor model myself. I had a benchtop machine at one time, and it could handle 90-95% of what i was doing, but it's sure nice when you need the extra depth with the floor model. And , of course, there is always "another " way of doing it!

Blog Entries
    Mine is a floor model too but have only used it's depth a couple of times. I built a stand on rollers with a drawer and cutout on the back that fits around the post. This way, it's basically used in benchtop mode most of the time, but it can be rolled out of the way should I need the extra capacity.

The biggest machine purchase mistake I've made since I got back into woodworking was buying a bench top drill press. The quill stroke is far too short for the projects I've used it for. I, however, do not wish to sell my drill press. Adding a floor model with a 6" quill stroke is what I'd rather do. I bought the bench top because I couldn't afford a floor model and I still can't.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I just sold my Jet floor standing drill press, because I bought a Bridgeport milling machine, which has a 44" swing.

Before getting the big daddy of drill presses, I did occasionally use the extra length of the column. I drilled some stair spindles, and had a project or two where I drilled in something larger in diameter than some benchtops could do, but I agree with others that the biggest issue is probably quill travel.

I find that a floor standing drill press is more appropriate for my small shop. It takes up less useful space than did a benchtop model, has a small footprint so it gets in the way less than a cart, and wheeled carts can be parked against its column straddling the base anyway. Apparently which fits better depends on the shop and what sort of space you need. I have not needed the extra length, but it's there if I ever do need it.

I have to agree with Alan - a floor standing drill press does not take up much space at all. Although I am not trying to repeat everything already said, the one time you need the extra 'anything' you will be happy with the big guy. I had a bench top prior to my current floor standing model (Ridgid on clearance at HD for $150). One of the immediate drawbacks I found on the bench top was its small capacity between the quill and the post - which translates to a smaller size table you will need to add for woodworking. Having stepped up, I would not want to go back. Now my eyes are on a bigger Delta.

Count me in as a bench top to floor standing convert. Had both, now just a floor stander and I won't go back. For me, bench space was more valuable than floor space and throat depth was an issue too. However, Don's comment about a rolling cabinet has me thinking, "Why didn't I think of that?!?!?" Brilliant! You just helped me solve an issue I have been struggling with for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    What are the advantages of having a floor model drill press versus a bench top for the average woodworker? Thanks L
    Benchtop is less expensive.
    I really don't think a benchtop saves space. It will take up benchtop space or you are going to have to move it on and off the benchtop.

Floor model has more capacity,as others said. A floor model has a small footprint, and can be put on a mobile base. Really, I think unless $$ is an issue, I think the floor model is the way to go.

I've had both Bench top and floor model. I was literally going out the door to get a new Bench Top model (my old Craftsman died, siezed bearings, and I had no idea how to find new ones for it), but I checked Craigslist before I went out the door. I came home with a 15" 16 speed 3/4 HP Northern Industrial floor model for $75.00. Plenty of capacity, very accurate, very reliable. I have had this DP now for 2 years, it's probably 15 years old now, and the original belts are starting to need to be replaced... No big deal...

But I digress here... On the subject of which one... Believe it or not, if you set up a floor model with a mobile base, and maybe a cabinet that can roll under and out from under when the column is needed, it is a lot less hassle to deal with a floor model... I know it seems counter intuitive, but it works...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have a floor model and a benchtop. The benchtop now sits on my floor and is gathering dust. I have not used it in years. The best thing about a floor model is you can make (or buy) an auxilliary table for it. The stock metal table is woefully inadequate for woodworking. I made a good sized table, with T-tracks and a fence. Can't remember the depth, but that will depend on your DP. It's 2 feet wide. I can drill cabinet shelf pin holes and door hinge pockets using the fence. Can't miss. Best addition to a DP. Can't put an aux table on a benchtop, unless you never tilt the table.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure that the quill stroke is adequate for what you want to do. My benchtop is very short, can't do a whole lot. Can't even drill a pen blank. That's the main reason I got the floor model. Throat depth is less important as far as I have noticed. HP is a factor, although not a huge factor. 3/4 HP should be plenty. 1 HP if you swing a lot of big Forstners.

Just my $0.02.