Thread: Delta 18" drum sander

Delta 18" drum sander

I am looking at purchasing a used sander it is a Delta 31-255x series 18" drum sander with variable speed feed. Anyone have one?

Pro? Cons? Thoughts on used value?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

I had one and sold it.

Pros: Sands thinner than a planer can plane so its good if you want to make veneers. Good for leveling less than perfect cope/stick joints, though you have cross grain scratches to sand out. Good for leveling less than perfect glued up panels.

Cons: Slow. Try to cut too much or too fast and you'll trip the overload on the belt. Belts are somewhat expensive but you can buy rolls of material and cut your own to save some. Can't run too fine a grit or it just burns. If you get a buildup on a belt, it can be quickly ruined--and will leave a big burn streak on your workpiece. Dust collection is an absolute must and the dust is extremely fine and can clog filters.

There's no comparison between these machines and something like a Woodmaster or a widebelt. The price doesn't compare either.

I have the older 255 model, and I like it. Got it used for about 450 IIRC, came with a bunch of extra paper rolls. Mine works pretty well. I went over it when I got it and it sands pretty evenly from one side to another. Only thing that is a bit funky is the belt that advances the wood. It tends to wander some but its worn and I havent gotten around to replacing it. I do use a crepe bar on mine to clean the sanding drum every so often. It keeps it from building up and ruining the paper. As Matt mentioned, good dust collection is important. I honestly don't see any dust on mine when it runs. And mine is still an American made machine, go figure.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My experience pretty much echo's Matt's. The Delta works as advertised as long as you exercise patience. Mine never tripped the overload but it would blow the abrasive belt if pushed too hard.
    I sold it and bought a Woodmaster.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I forgot one negative. The table elevation screws are a BEAR to get adjusted right. Everything has to be just right or something binds and the belt that connects them all jumps. Luckily they seem to stay in alignment once its done. I tried night after night for about a week, talked to my dealer who was going to pick it up and do it in their shop before I got it on one more try.

I love my Delta,but I never crank it rapidly. So far the belt hasn't slipped,and gotten the corner post screws out of alignment.

The things I like best are:1;the dust hood perfectly removes all dust. never happened with the old "thickness planer" types. 2; I can get the 2 outboard elevation screws PERFECT to make a wide board EXACTLY parallel across its thickness. Never could get the old fashioned planer types parallel.

The conveyor belt does like to slowly go to 1 side on the 1 at work,but mine at home does o.k.. I think it's how perfectly they get the seam glued at the factory.

Don't use belts finer than 120 grit. they WILL burn.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I had one of the early models with the chain & sprocket elevator system. I had to dial it in when I first set it up but never had any problems after that. It would sand a 16" board evenly within .005 edge to edge.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I had the first generation 18/36 for 7 years and really liked it, it was built very ridgid. I sold it to buy a dual drum sander that was a real bargin price. I never had the problems others complained about. The table elevation crank worked good and stayed level for me. I did keep the screw threads clean and used a dry lube on them. I think there are do's and don'ts with any brand of drum sander. Don't run it like a planer, take small passes meaning at most 1/4 turn of the elevation crank per pass. Also dust collection is a must with any drum sander. These machines are a real time saver especially when sanding down raised panel doors. I would recommend the Delta, its a good machine.

Regards!
    Ed