Thread: How do you purchase a Hammer A3-31?

How do you purchase a Hammer A3-31?

Dumb question. I would like to buy a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer and was wondering how to go about it. Should I just call the west coast 800 number or should I fill out the contact form on the hammerusa.com site and wait for a call?

Anyone order one recently? How long does it typically take to get one? I would like to get it tomorrow but realize I'm going to have to wait a couple of months.

After reading the numerous threads about the A3-31. I'm going to order the byrd head, digital read out, and short extension for planer. I'm still thinking about the longer extensions for the jointer. I will pass on the mobility kit and get the great lake casters instead. I like the idea of the extra height being tall, and I have a small shop and I'm going to need to move this thing around.

~mark

They always answer the phone.

The Sacramento office will help you tomorrow. Sounds like you have a good setup, although I'd recommend an extra extension table. It lets you put one on each end when jointing.

If it isn't on sale ask the sales rep what he can do for you. I worked with Fergus and he gave me the sales price (around $3200) after the sale was over.

BTW - my A3-31 and Sawstop are my two best purchases...

Roger,

Thanks for the info.

Do you recommend getting two of the short extensions or two of the large for the jointer and one of the small for the planer?

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    The Sacramento office will help you tomorrow. Sounds like you have a good setup, although I'd recommend an extra extension table. It lets you put one on each end when jointing.

If it isn't on sale ask the sales rep what he can do for you. I worked with Fergus and he gave me the sales price (around $3200) after the sale was over.

BTW - my A3-31 and Sawstop are my two best purchases...

Carl Knapp is the local rep who handles Los Angeles -- he is located in OC and is a great guy.

Scot

Blog Entries
    Roger, How long ago did you buy your A3-31 at $3200.00? Was that a delivered price?

I have two short ones. I usually cut my stock to typical cabinet lengths (max 3-4 ft long), so I don't really need the extensions very often.

The clever thing about them is that they are half the width of the planer bed. When I'm not using them for jointing I keep them both on the planer outfeed, side-by-side. When I need them for jointing I put one on either end of the jointing table so I can support 5 ft or so on each side of the cutter head.

My shop is pretty small. I'd be hard pressed to find enough room for the longer extension.

Sorry for the long answer...

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Jensen; 11-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.

It was a little over a year ago, after their April sale had been over for a few months. I think they ran the same special this year.

I had delivery charges on top of that.

Roger

The Hammer A3 31 is listed in the current Christmas catalog for 1890.00

Here's a link you can download the catalog in a PDF file.

http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/Teaser-pd...010_UK_enc.pdf
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    The Hammer A3 31 is listed in the current Christmas catalog for 1890.00

Here's a link you can download the catalog in a PDF file.

http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/Teaser-pd...010_UK_enc.pdf
    That catalog seems to be British, and the 1890 price is in pounds, not dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    That catalog seems to be British, and the 1890 price is in pounds, not dollars.
    You're right. I obviously did look very close.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

At 1890 USD I would have ordered another. :-)

Get the extensions but don't pay full price unless you have to have them. They should be releasing their Christmas sale soon. Looks like the UK is a bit ahead of us. I bought mine around Superbowl time last year and got a fair deal on it. Long story but I only had it for a month or two before I upgraded to a Felder. It was a great machine and I was tempted to hold onto it. The time I did have it I did't have any extensions and I really don't know how people run long stock on/through it. I fought some longer 5/4 maple on it. On the machine I have now I have just one of the short extensions and it makes a world of difference. The tables are a bit longer too which helps but I would never be without again. Very easy to move around. Wish I had two and soon will. Just waiting for the next sale.

Found this. I assume this will be the flyer they will announce very soon. Not sure so don't shoot the messanger if it is wrong.

http://mirrorfelder.cnh.at/Teaser-pd...10_USA_enc.pdf

You should prob order the A3-31. Seems like a good deal with the accessories. I had the rolling carriage and it was kind of a pain but not too bad once you go used to how to move it around. Not as ideal as the Great Lakes casters but you can't beat the price. Of course you will have to add the cost of the Byrd head which was somewhere around $800 and shipping.