Some people may be trying to build a better mouse trap, but for me the big challenge is designing a better dog crate/house.

I run a business where I work with large strong dogs in large numbers, mostly German Shepherds. These dogs are very strong and can crush wood in their jaws with little effort. Designing some sort of portable sleeping quarters that can be moved around buildings & in & out of vehicles is a tough job. The end product needs to be tough enough to stand up against these very active dogs but remain light enough to move around fairly often.

XDPE plastic is being used for horse stalls now. They claim horses can not chew or kick through 1/2 inch thick walls which gets my attention. They frequently weld this material together with heat guns, sort of like welding metal without pooling the binding material. A buddy and I ordered a heat gun and are about to start playing around with it. Apparently this material can not be glued as the surface is, by design, resistant to most chemicals, including glues.

We are thinking about making a box frame, kinda like a cabinet carcass, using the welding gun. We may reduce the weight of the final product by screwing/bolting thinner XDPE to the frame. The thinner material could be replaced if it got too scratched up etc. There will have to be some sort of hinged door with solid latch. We are thinking about adjusting air flow by simply drilling more or less small holes in various places in the boxes.

Does anyone have any experience to offer, using this type plastic material? I am also considering using XDPE as a table/cabinet top and as the material inside of wooden frames for cabinets. Maybe others have walked this road?