Thread: Jatoba for Outdoor project

Jatoba for Outdoor project

I searched a bit and didn't find anything immediately so I thought I would just ask. I am replacing the slats on a garden bench for my parents. I have some Jatoba that I was planning to use it and leave it unfinished.

Is it suited for such a purpose? Anyone think of a reason I should not go this route? If you are recommending that I finish it - what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I have used for the same purpose that you describe. I live in Michigan and leave my bench uncovered year round. It has gone through about 5 winters now and it is holding up fine. It does turn a silver/grey color though.

Cool Good for outdoors

Jatoba is a very good wood for outdoors and a lot sell it in decking sizes for just that purpose. I've used it for a barbeque table (a combo of jatoba and cocobolo) and it's held up well however I put some fairly decent coats of tung oil on to try to give it at least some protection.

We also had done some jatoba/cocobolo benches and coffee tables designed for outdoor use and sold a few of them. I'm not sure if they actually ever made it outside but have had no subsequent complaints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Thanks Bob and Damon - I appreciate the time.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields