Thread: Porter-Cable 97455 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander with Dust

Porter-Cable 97455 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander with Dust

Has or is anyone using this sander with the dust collection? I need to sand a 10' tall x 10' wide built in entertainment area in a open room. I don't have an excessive amount to sand as I sanded every thing prior to assembly. But I would like to keep that fine dust down to a minimum. Seems like a good price point for me since I already have 5" hook and loop. Thanks in advance.

My ROS is a Bosch, but it came with a dust collector. The collector did fill up, but could hardly tell from all the dust laying and floating around. I got fittings to hook the sander to my shop vac, made a huge difference. Still doesn't get every bit, but still great. Till the shop vac filter is loaded an inch or nore thick with fine dust. Then you need to wear a dust mask to clean it.

I should have been more specific. I was wondering how well the PC dust collection works when hooked up to a shop vac. Thanks

My Dewalt works great with a shop vac, would think the PC would work the same.

Blog Entries
    I have a PC 7366 (I think thats the number?). It's 6", 6 Hole. I always use it connected to a shop vac. the vac gets most of it. I'd say 80 to 90 % of the dust.

PHM

Blog Entries
    My Bosch also works great with a vac hooked up (BTW you could buy 3 of my 1295's for the cost of that PC). Picks up more dust than it makes ;-) I actually have the control collar installed on the hose to reduce the draw to keep it from interfering with the rotation. I would think almost any sander would do well with a decent vac hooked up.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-30-2010 at 7:56 AM.

I think Glenn is right that almost any modern sander will do a good job. I think you'd find that the range would be in the very good to excellent range. That's been my experience with a Porter Cable 333VS, the German-made version of the Ridgid 6" sander both of which were very good. The Festool ETS150/3 I have now leaves virtually nothing behind.

I have an older model - PC 333VS - 5-inch 5-hole.

It is hooked up via 1-1/4" x 16' flex hose to Fein T-III.

Dust collection is excellent.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

The thing I'd watch out for is being able to hook the sander up to a vac. i know some have a rectangular outlet where the bag attaches. Make sure there's a way to get from the tool's dust outlet to a vac hose.

Theres only 3 things which I don't like about that sander choice:

1)It's 5", instead of 6"
    2)It's not in-line motor-- what could be less balanced than a motor dangling off the side of of a rotating disk? I know a woodworker who develop tendonitous primarily from using these anti-human sanders. Actually, there is one situation where I like a cantilevered sander motor--if you are doing large curved surfaces like arches or the outside of a small boat, I like the control the that style.
    3)It's a porter cable.

Other than that, sounds great to me!

-Steve

I have the 6" version of this - it works well. The dust collection is a bit cheesy (tiny plastic hose, etc.), but works OK. Hooked up to a shop vac (a Fein with a dust deputy), it pulls up almost all of the dust.

Steve mentioned the balance issue - yes, it is a bit unbalanced, but if the user is careful and is working with finer grits - it's not a problem. I don't know it I'd want to be trying to sand an installed built-in with it though - mine's (the 6") a bit heavy for holding up high for any extended period.