Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do you guys get your lumber????

Bo -another is about 100 miles at Spavinaw, Ok.

http://www.johnsonsawmill.com/produc...xoticmisc.html

Craigslist, in this part of the country, is great. I found a local guy who is about 80. He runs his sawmill for fun and gives (practically speaking) his lumber away. Bought some spalted maple of "specialty lumber" quality for $1.25/bf.

Then of course, sometimes you need to just get in your car and drive around. I have a sawmill about 5 miles from my house that does not advertise in any form. Going to the mill is like traveling back to 1900 (in terms of location, roads, and the mill itself) and the wood is priced from the same era.

I am a newbie to this, so just getting started. But I am getting my wood from my backyard here on the farm. Every so often we cut down a tree as it gets older or for whatever and the old man down the road with the portable mill comes up to saw it for me. As long as I help him, it's fairly cheap. ($.40/bf for hardwoods).

On another note, is locust a good wood to use for anything in particular? I just cut down one that was about 26"dia. and was going to split it for fence post?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rossi View Post
    ... over the years I have purchased from small saw mills, and private individuals. ....When I was just starting out I purchased S2S from a lumber yard and some from the BORG.
    +1 Although I still occasionally buy from a BORG for smaller craft-type projects. I'm also lucky enough to have a daughter with a boss that took advantage of the sour economy by buying bankrupt lumber yards, warehousing the material, and then wholesaling to other yards. I've scored some really nice, unique material (and tools) for great prices.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Rusty,
    What is the name of this place you mentioned, and where is it?

Thanks.

You guys have been a huge help and thankyou. I was so stumped thought I was stuck with the Borg or mail order.... And call me odd but I like stacking the wood in the truck and knowing what I'm spending my dough on.

I'm kind of spoiled where I live. Theres a few lumber yards around here within a few miles. Theres two huge ones with all kinds of wood but not the nice figured type woods (unless you get lucky and find some in a pile). Theres one pretty big place with all kinds of wood plus all the nice firgured stuff and expensive exotics (some stuff over $100 a board foot... I averted my eyes in fear they'd charge me for just looking at it ).

It's Kenmar Timber in Clifton Hill Missouri. The make pallets but also mill quite a bit of usable lumber.

If you go to the Woodweb site on the homepage in the left hand column is a listing for sawmills. Or you might try calling Woodmizer to find one pretty close to you. Once you find one you can ask them about others and generally get information on ones closer to you that way. We used to get all the eastern redcedar we used from a mill in Missouri, so some should be available.
    And now for something completely different....

Last bit I bought was from a sawmill guy that had his own kiln. I've about gone through that and will have to buy a load soon. I like cherry and live in PA and they value their cherry here. If you can take advantage of a deal. Regularly watch woodweb.com in the classifieds section they have folks post from all over and all different kinds of quantities and species.

well guys just wanted to say thanks for all the help it seems here about noon friday we are headed to spavinaw to buy us some lumber they even said theyd let my three year old and i walk thru the saw mill. so excited i cant sleep......... im sure the kid is going to get a kick!!!!!

I bet both of you will. I take my 4 year old with me everytime I go to the mill. I know the owner (awesome guy) and he even gave my boy a ride in the big front end loader that they use to mover their logs around. Now my boy can't wait to see the tractors and watch the wood get cut up.