Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you guys get your lumber????

Where do you guys get your lumber????

A question I've been dyin to ask. I'm in a small town a couple hours from anywhere except big blue and orange and was wondering where you otter guys found your hardwoods????

My local lumberyard in a town of roughly 5k people actually has a fairly nice selection, especially in long(>12') lengths of red oak, poplar, mahogany, maple, cherry and at times some ash. They will generally let you pick your own boards then they'll just measure to figure the board feet. Prices aren't bad and are better then the BORG's prices on oak and a better quality IMO. Call around and find what species they have and then go take a look.

CL is your friend

I live out in the sticks too, and I regularly haunt the CL - Materials list in the local jurisdictions. Not so good if you need a specific amount of a specific kind of lumber right now, but if you want to build a stock of certain species it's a good way to do that.

All of the local little sawyers in my area advertise on CL too, so you can get a feel for who does what where and what they might stock.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo McCorkle View Post
    A question I've been dyin to ask. I'm in a small town a couple hours from anywhere except big blue and orange and was wondering where you otter guys found your hardwoods????
    I get mine mainly from trees.

Seriously, over the years I have purchased from small saw mills, and private individuals. (Craigslist and members of my local WW club).

When I was just starting out I purchased S2S from a lumber yard and some from the BORG.

The only stuff I buy from lumber yards now is construction lumber, (2x4's etc.)

lumber

where ya located? John

Pittsburg Kansas. I'm about 2 hours from Tulsa 2 hours from Kansas city and about a half an hour away from Joplin Missouri.

Try woodfinder.com
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Pittsburg Kansas. I'm about 2 hours from Tulsa 2 hours from Kansas city and about a half an hour away from Joplin Missouri.
    Well you're right about not having much around you, I grew up in north central Kansas and have been through Pittsburg a time or two. As far as the places I'e been to in your rough area, some are more of a drive then others:

Roberson Lumber, Silver Lake Kansas-Amazing lumber yard with probably the best selection of hardwoods(domestic and exotic) I've ever found in a full line, non dedicated lumber yard. Selection is great and prices are very fair.

Metro Hardwoods in Independence-Good selection, prices were higher but had a nice selection, especially of the exotics

Liberty Hardwoods, Kansas City-Commercial lumber supplier, not sure what minimum quantities are but I bout approximately 400 bd foot of walnut and had it delivered and was pleased with the price and quality.

Schmucker Lumber, Inman KS-Never been there but have heard good things if you're ever in the Wichita area might be worth a stop.

lumber

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Try woodfinder.com
    +1. Do a search using your zip code. John

Living that close to Missouri there has to be a number of sawmills within an hour or two across the border. I know of some on the east side and even in the Columbia area. I googled Missouri Sawmills and this link looked promising.

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/...-State_MO.html

i kinda figured there would be a few ecspecially around the mt vernon area but its almost like everyone tries to keep them a secret or i just dont look in the right places.......

If you don't need long boards....try wall lumber's UPS bundles. ~20 board feet of hardwood for around $100-$125. I've bought several and very happy with the quality and the <4 ft lengths are fine with me.

I've bought a lot of ups bundles from wall lumber. I can't store a lot of would so I buy it as I need it.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McFarland View Post
    If you don't need long boards....try wall lumber's UPS bundles. ~20 board feet of hardwood for around $100-$125. I've bought several and very happy with the quality and the <4 ft lengths are fine with me.

If you want figured hardwoods like birdseye maple and curly maple try this website www.bellforestproducts.com These guys sell all over the world and give great service. Ask for Boone or Eric and tell them Bob Chapman sent you.

Bo, I am just south of Fayetteville, Arkansas. I usually buy from Plunkett Distributing Fort Smith. I have got to know them pretty well. They let me hand pick my lumber and give me a good price. I think they have a warehouse in Tulsa also.