Thread: cutting graphite blocks.

cutting graphite blocks.

I have been doing work for a glass blower and this time I have to cut the mount out of a 24"x13"x3" block of graphite (it only costs 1500.00) I cut it on my cnc router but I need to saw the parts apart and cut for thickness. last tiem I tired it on my bandsaw it kept bogging down. but I think the blade was slipping since it took a bit to get back to speed. the stuff cuts pretty easily for the most part.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Call the supplier and ask them? They probably cut your blocks down from bigger pieces.....

Not too much help I know... but the graphite "dust" you are generated when cutting on the BS might have been the root cause of the blade slipping. Powdered graphite as you probably know is a good dry lube!!

I wanted it in a block as it is easier to hold one piece in place. but I used the tablesaw to cut the blocks apart this time. yes I was thinking the same the dust causing slippage even with the dc on. I wish I remembered to take a picture of the raw block. the bottom was flat and two sides the rest looked like lava. the top needed 1/2" removed to make it flat. I must have put 300.00 in dust in my cyclone.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing