Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric question for dust collector

Electric question for dust collector

Hello all
    I am getting ready to put in my delta 50-760 dust collector and run a dedicated circuit for it (20 ft wire away from my sub panel in basement and ran a circuit of 14/2 wire to it with a 15 amp fuse). The motor is 1.5hp 15 amp on sticker.
    My question to you all is this OK? Per code I am OK but should I run 12/2 or just leave it?

Wire Size

In my shop all large power tools are on there own circuit, wired with 12/2 with ground, or 10/2 with ground. This way you can up grade to a larger tool with out rewiring shop. 14 ga wire on 15 amp motor is right at the limit for that wire size. You should check with a electrician if you have not done this before. Tom

Maybe check the manual. (12-2 dedicated circuit) A couple of bucks for the right wire and receptical isn't the place to cheap out.

I went with 12 on my Delta 50-760, but I had to run about 30 ft. It will still flicker the lights when I switch it on, and it's on it's own circuit.
    Just to add; I am not an electrician, and I don't play one on TV.

I am inclined to chug it out to 20 amp circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howe View Post
    Hello all
    I am getting ready to put in my delta 50-760 dust collector and run a dedicated circuit for it (20 ft wire away from my sub panel in basement and ran a circuit of 14/2 wire to it with a 15 amp fuse). The motor is 1.5hp 15 amp on sticker.
    My question to you all is this OK? Per code I am OK but should I run 12/2 or just leave it?
    Greetings, Andrew..

Others here make good points about future upgradability but I'm going to address your question directly.

A good (conservative) rule of thumb is to limit your voltage drop to no more than 3%, although many use 5%. Assuming your #14 wire is 20 feet long (each way) and based upon 120V AC, you'll get a 1.5% voltage drop at 15A of current draw. You'll be fine.

That said, if you haven't run the wire yet and unless the couple of dollars is significant in your budget, I'd not install anything less that #12, especially with an induction motor. An induction motor, for a tiny fraction of a second at first startup, typically draws about 6x the nameplate current. In the real world no problem; just consider me wasteful with copper. :-D

You can easily run this calculation for any power requirement you may have by googling "voltage drop calculator" for any of many sites offering free calcs.

I'm created and uploaded a PDF of yours, for your perusal.

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Jim
    Thanks for your input and the calculation info. Since I am midway in setting this up I will run 12/2 with a 20 amp breaker.
    Off to HD

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Greetings, Andrew..

Others here make good points about future upgradability but I'm going to address your question directly.

A good (conservative) rule of thumb is to limit your voltage drop to no more than 3%, although many use 5%. Assuming your #14 wire is 20 feet long (each way) and based upon 120V AC, you'll get a 1.5% voltage drop at 15A of current draw. You'll be fine.

That said, if you haven't run the wire yet and unless the couple of dollars is significant in your budget, I'd not install anything less that #12, especially with an induction motor. An induction motor, for a tiny fraction of a second at first startup, typically draws about 6x the nameplate current. In the real world no problem; just consider me wasteful with copper. :-D

You can easily run this calculation for any power requirement you may have by googling "voltage drop calculator" for any of many sites offering free calcs.

I'm created and uploaded a PDF of yours, for your perusal.

Jim

Jim
    Thanks for your input and the calculation info. Since I am midway in setting this up I will run 12/2 with a 20 amp breaker.
    Off to HD
    Andrew -I think that's the right call. I have that same DC, and I had read that some people were seeing occasional breaker pops @ startup on a 15A line. It could have been due to a long run, but you never know. On a new install, going with a 20A makes sense.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    To add to Jim's points... a true 1.5HP at 120V is <10A actual draw (not counting startup pulls). At 20' you're perfectly fine, and if the line was alreayd in I would have no issues with leaving it as is. Since you're putting in a new circuit, I wouldn't think twice about making it a 20A with the expectation I'd put in something bigger down the road (or use another tool at that spot).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    That said, if you haven't run the wire yet and unless the couple of dollars is significant in your budget, I'd not install anything less that #12, especially with an induction motor.
    +1 on what Jim said.

Jim
    Off to HD
    Good call Andrew. You'll sleep better and possibly be glad later on.

I believe a shop should be wired like a kitchen. 20 amp circuits everywhere.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    To add to Jim's points... a true 1.5HP at 120V is <10A actual draw (not counting startup pulls).
    There's not enough information to make this assumption. In another thread I did a brief survey of various motors in my shop and got numbers between 980 and 1150 watts per HP actual input current. Extrapolating, that's between 12 and 14.5 amps for 1.5HP at 120V..

The nameplate rating on the OP's machine is 15A, and dust collectors tend to draw maximum power all of the time (unless the intake is highly restricted), so I wouldn't use any number less than 15A.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    At 20' you're perfectly fine, and if the line was alreayd in I would have no issues with leaving it as is. Since you're putting in a new circuit, I wouldn't think twice about making it a 20A with the expectation I'd put in something bigger down the road (or use another tool at that spot).
    One additional factor is that most breakers are rated for only 80% continuous capacity. Long-term draw at or near the breaker rating will likely eventually trip, due to manufacturing tolerances and accumulated heat. I would put in 12ga with a 20A breaker without question for this machine.

[QUOTE=Andrew Howe;1570642]...and ran a circuit of 14/2 wire to it with a 15 amp fuse...[/QUOTE]

Fuse? Or Breaker? If, indeed, you have a fused panel instead of breakers, you do not want nusiance trips! Fuses are a PITA! Good call on the #12 wiring / 20A fuse?/breaker. #14 wiring on a 15A circuit is the absolute minimum meant to save contractors money.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Andrew -I think that's the right call. I have that same DC, and I had read that some people were seeing occasional breaker pops @ startup on a 15A line. It could have been due to a long run, but you never know. On a new install, going with a 20A makes sense.
    A long run of wire actually reduces the current drawn - it does not increase the likelihood of a tripped breaker.

Let's say the resistive equivalent of our tool is 10 ohms (around 1.3 HP or so). If we plug this tool into a power source that has an infinite current supplying ability without any voltage drop, we can calculate that this load will dissipate 1440 watts (P = V^2/R). The current flowing through the tool is 12A (I = V/R).

Let's say we now take this same tool and plug it into 100' of orange BORG 16ga extension cord. The resistance per foot of 16ga wire is .00473 ohms/ft (which may be optimistic considering how many splice points there are if you use 4 25' cords instead of 1 100' cord for example). Multiplying this by 200' (need to count the round trip distance of the wire) gives us a total resistance of .946 ohms.

This gets added to our tool load, so now our effective resistance of the tool plus wiring is 10.946 ohms. Using Ohm's law again, we find that our current has actually dropped from 12A without counting the wiring losses to 10.9A. Obviously a 10.9A load is less likely to trip a breaker than a 12A load.

The reason for using large wire and short runs is so that we aren't wasting power in the wiring and starving our loads. Again taking the 100' extension cord example, we can find that our tool which really wants 120V of input power for maximum performance will only be operating on 109V, consuming 1188 watts, due to the losses of the small wiring. We've lost 250 watts of potential work output due to the higher load impedance of the circuit and the resistive losses of the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post
    I went with 12 on my Delta 50-760, but I had to run about 30 ft. It will still flicker the lights when I switch it on, and it's on it's own circuit.
    Just to add; I am not an electrician, and I don't play one on TV.
    These momentary brownouts are a fact of life and do not necessarily indicate an undersized branch circuit (though that would certainly make it worse).

My house has a 200A service but I'm 300' from the utility pole. When I kick on either my 5HP dust collector or 5HP table saw (worse with the dust collector because it's trying to pull full power longer to get the impeller up to speed where as my table saw is only briefly loaded to get the blade spinning) I get a pretty good dip momentarily.

All of my wiring exceeds the supply requirements of my tools, but the sum total of the branch circuit wiring, my long feeder length to the utility pole, and the particulars of my neighborhood distribution situation all contribute. There isn't much I can do about it, but it doesn't really hurt anything either.