Thread: Laminating 1/4" to 3/4" plywood

Laminating 1/4" to 3/4" plywood

I need to glue a piece of 1/4" ply to 3/4" ply. Both sides will be visable. Is yellow glue OK or should i try something else?
    The panels are ~19" x 34"

Thanks
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Yellow glue will be fine but you are probably going to have a warping problem. By glueing the 1/4" to only one side you are going to create an unbalanced panel that will almost certainly warp. You would be much better off going with 2 1/4" and a center piece of 1/2"

I like contact cement

I would use contact cement! Brush or roll it on both pieces let it dry use small sticks to align pieces and then start at one end removing the sticks, use j roller if you have one and laminate. I would make the 1/4 inch piece larger and use flush cut router bit to trim down after you are done. I have done similar things and it works good.

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Another vote for contact cement, cut the 3/4 to size and cut the 1/4 a little over sized then flush the sides up with router and pattern bit after bonding together.
    Or make both over sized and get one edge flush when sticking together so you can run that side against a table saw fence and cut to size. I like the latter approach myself.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I'm kinda stuck with the 1/4 and 3/4 material, didn't think about going the 1/4,1/2,1/4 route....

I'll run out today and get some contact cement

Thanks!!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Before you get the contact cement, it would help to know what the application is. I wouldn't use contact cement for furniture construction that is intended to last more that 10 yrs. I also wouldn't use it on something that will have any pressure applied against the edges of the panels. It will creep worse than yellow glue under the right conditions. Just a thought.

These panels will be the top and bottom of 2 wall hung cabinets. The cabinet sides are attached by screwing thru the 3/4" ply into the sides and then the 1/4" ply is laminated on and then soild wood edging wraps the 3 exposed sides using biscuits.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    These panels will be the top and bottom of 2 wall hung cabinets. The cabinet sides are attached by screwing thru the 3/4" ply into the sides and then the 1/4" ply is laminated on and then soild wood edging wraps the 3 exposed sides using biscuits.

Brian
    With that type of construction, yellow glue will be ok.
    Cabinet makers do a lot of that type of construction.