Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop built wood storage rack, stationary.

shop built wood storage rack, stationary.

Anyone have a design they like? I have seen two on the internet that should work. One is made completely out of Plywood, the other out of 2 X 4. I only need shelves that are maybe 14" deep. This won't carry a lot of wood, but I need someplace to put cutoffs and the occasional wood for acclimation to the shop. Thanks in advance! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, don't know if your studs are exposed, but if so, I like a 1 1/2 thick wedge of solid wood laminated on both sides with ply that sticks out the back 3 1/2 inches. Then drill a hole through the ply when the pc is positioned on a stud for a 1/2" carriage bolt. these will hold a tremendous amount of weight. if this doesn't make sense I will elaborate.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 12-05-2010 at 1:55 PM.

Thanks Rick, but no exposed studs here. I've got OSB all around. Don't have room for a mobile cart. Looking for something I can lag into the studs and be permanent against the wall. Not for sheet storage. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

4. I've done something similar to what Rick mentioned, except I do not have exposed studs. I used 2x2 for the load bearing piece and some scrap 1x4 pieces on the sides and attached them to a 2x4 which was then attached with 3.5" screws counter sunk about 1.5" into the stud in the wall. These things can take my entire weight on each support no problem.

Ok so its not a shop built wood rack, but here's what I've put up. Standard off the shelf products from Menards, the vertical struts are about $5 per 4' stick, the shelf supports are between .75 cents and $3 bucks depending on size/weight limits. Works pretty well for what I want, and it allowed me to get them up quickly since I didn't have to make anything which was important cause everything that you see on them was scattered around the garage/shop because I needed to unload the truck and had to move the truckload of maple and douglas fir somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've priced some online at Lowe's, and for 7 4' verticals and 4 shelf brackets for each, I'm over 250 smackers!!! Way over priced for my wants. But the prices you are showing are less than half what Lowe's wants for the Rubbermaid brand. It has the double row mounts instead of single row. Can't tell what style your's is Logan. Jim.

Here is mine,also from Menards.Cost last then $ 80.Each bracket can hold 350 lb.
    Jaromir

I do have better picture.in other post.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I've priced some online at Lowe's, and for 7 4' verticals and 4 shelf brackets for each, I'm over 250 smackers!!! Way over priced for my wants. But the prices you are showing are less than half what Lowe's wants for the Rubbermaid brand. It has the double row mounts instead of single row. Can't tell what style your's is Logan. Jim.
    Mine are the double row mounts, some of the heavier duty shelf brackets use both rows, other just use one. Its the same as Jaromir has.

Logan and Jaromir, what brand have you used? Is it Rubbermaid? That is the only brand I have been able to locate so far on line. Both Lowe's and HD have it, but the price is killing me. Thanks for any help you can render! Jim.

Blog Entries
    7 - Lowes item #197716 @ $7.62 = 53.34
    28 - Lowes item #107941 @ $3.34 = 93.52
    Total without tax = $146.52 in my zipcode, YMMV.

These are double row standards with brackets that are rated at 170lbs each.

I run the top 2 rows with the 11" brackets to clear my garage door track and 2 rows with the 14-1/2" brackets below that. I used 24" standards but have them every 16". The wall does have to be plumb or the arms will not be aligned. My wall was pretty pitiful and I have to shim between bracket and wall but, I seem to have a shop full of tools so the shims weren't a problem One nice thing about these or any modular system is that it can be added to as needed or distributed around the shop using a lot of arms were you need them and less for lighter loads.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-05-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Logan and Jaromir, what brand have you used? Is it Rubbermaid? That is the only brand I have been able to locate so far on line. Both Lowe's and HD have it, but the price is killing me. Thanks for any help you can render! Jim.
    As far as I can remember its not branded. Its in a pretty plain stand up rack in their shelving area next to some more expensive(and gaudy) versions in a faux diamond plate look. The only stickers they had on them were the UPC labels so I'm not gonna be much help, sorry. Menards website is pretty poor for online shopping, and you're about 10 hours south of the closest Menards. If I make it back there in the next week I'll double check to make sure their aren't any brand names that I'm forgetting.

Jim-ok I did some quick searching and believe I found them. They ones that Jaromir and I have are made by John Sterling (www.johnsterling.com). They are available on Amazon, looks like the 48" standards are $5.61, the shelf brackets themselves seem a little high and they don't have any of the lower capacity ones but with a bit of searching I bet you can find some that will work, probably some brackets from other manufacturers would work also.

Check out "cantilever racks" on Craigslist. For about $300 you can store literally tons of wood. ($600 new) I don't feel stupid climbing between shelves now. No danger of being squished by a ton of lumber.

Anyone have a design they like? I have seen two on the internet that should work. One is made completely out of Plywood, the other out of 2 X 4. I only need shelves that are maybe 14" deep. This won't carry a lot of wood, but I need someplace to put cutoffs and the occasional wood for acclimation to the shop. Thanks in advance! Jim.
    Jim, I used this design with a few changes.

See this thread if you have not started already