Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Black Walnut Fire Wood

Almost Black Walnut Fire Wood

I was given this Black Walnut log in by family in Oklahoma and it was very badly checked and cracked. I did my best to salvage some but even those pieces started cracking. I had really been chided for not already turning something for my wife's cousin and so I thought I would at least give it a try. It had a bad crack but the wood was to beautiful to pass up. I'm not totally happy with this bowl but I'm not sorry I finished it. Go ahead and make any critique you like, just be gentle...Kidding.

P.S. I really do turn sometimes...

I almost violated my own rule, sorry. The bowl is 10 3/4" in Dia, X 3 1/4 High it is finished with alternating coats of Antique Oil and Light Walnut WATCO, Buffed and waxed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 11-30-2010 at 3:29 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

You're right - that sure is some pretty wood and well worth the effort to try and save!

Good looking bowl! It will make a great gift!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very nice....

Very nice. Love the shape.

Nice work, and nice save, Christopher! That walnut has some birdseye figure in it! And you're right about the color; gorgeous!

Very nice bowl Christopher! I think that's the 1st piece I've seen where someone used a tinted (?) watco. Beautiful wood and great rim treatment. Heck, if anyone scoffs at that gift, just ship it my way C.O.D.

Chris, it is a very nice bowl, from some beautiful walnut. I am curious - what is it about the bowl that you are not happy with?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Chris, it is a very nice bowl, from some beautiful walnut. I am curious - what is it about the bowl that you are not happy with?
    Thanks John, in the second photo left sid as you look at it you can see the crack. Usually I can get them to dissappear better than that. Out of practice I guess.

Nice save Chris!! Beautiful job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    You're right - that sure is some pretty wood and well worth the effort to try and save!

Good looking bowl! It will make a great gift!
    Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice....
    Thanks Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Very nice. Love the shape.
    Thanks Mark the wood kinda dictated the shape on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Nice work, and nice save, Christopher! That walnut has some birdseye figure in it! And you're right about the color; gorgeous!
    Nathan ya know I never thought of Walnut having Birdseye but it really seems to dosen't it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Very nice bowl Christopher! I think that's the 1st piece I've seen where someone used a tinted (?) watco. Beautiful wood and great rim treatment. Heck, if anyone scoffs at that gift, just ship it my way C.O.D.
    Thanks Michael, That tint seemed to add to the richness just a bit, or at least I thought so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Nice save Chris!! Beautiful job!!
    Thanks Jim.

I like that you made a simple shape and embellished it with a bit of detail around the rim and achieved something special. I can't even see the crack. Nice bowl.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    I like that you made a simple shape and embellished it with a bit of detail around the rim and achieved something special. I can't even see the crack. Nice bowl.
    faust
    Thanks very much Faust. Sometimes Photos can hide a multitude of Boo Boos.

Chris,

I looked for that crack. My aging eyes can't see it. What I do see is a bowl with a great design, fantasticly figured beautiful wood and great finish.

So here's how you handle this....walk up to the family member with a piece of firewood in one hand and that bowl in the other. Ask them which they'd rather have for a gift.

PS...I'd trade you firewood for that bowl!

Nicely done Chris!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Chris,

I looked for that crack. My aging eyes can't see it. What I do see is a bowl with a great design, fantasticly figured beautiful wood and great finish.

So here's how you handle this....walk up to the family member with a piece of firewood in one hand and that bowl in the other. Ask them which they'd rather have for a gift.

PS...I'd trade you firewood for that bowl!

Nicely done Chris!
    Thanks Ken for the comments and the advice. With this lady that might just work.