Thread: Drill bit collar jig for Jessem or DowelMax dowel jigs

Drill bit collar jig for Jessem or DowelMax dowel jigs

I have been using dowel for a long while now, when I got the DowelMax I really got in to using them. I have now sold the DowelMax and gone to the Jessem dowel Jig. Both are outstanding jigs and both work somewhat the same way.

The one area that was always a little problem was adjusting the collar on the bit to get the depth just right. I made some block with hole in them for 3/4 face and end grain which made it much easier but there was still the times when I was using something other then 3/4, like 1/2" with 1/4" dowels or 5/8" stock.

Today I made a little jig that will let you set the bit no matter what the thickness is much easier and faster.

To use the jig, you just measure the max depth of the hole in the thinnest board. Set the jig to that number, put the bit in and adjust the collar. If you have 2 bits you can put the mating side bit on the other side and adjust it at the same time.

If you just have one bit, set the measurement and then lock the jig down. Make your first set of holes, then put the bit in the other side of the jig and set it.

In the image the bits are set for equal depths on each bit. As you can see as you shorten the near bit the far bit gets longer. There are also 3 holes in the far slide, these are for 1", 1 1/2" and 2" dowels.

There are 2 slides, one on each side, there is a pin in the slides. A bar is pivoted in the center. At this time I do not have the measurements on the jig, I order some stick on rulers that I think will work very well.

It took me about an hour to make the jig and I could have made it small but I was just not sure how things would line up.

PB304942.jpg PB304941.jpg dowel bit-2.jpg

Fascinating. I have always found setting the collars a bit of a PITA.

Thanks

Gotta like that!
    The Plane Anarchist

Excellent!

I'm gonna make one of those today. Thanks for posting your very clever idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clark View Post
    I'm gonna make one of those today. Thanks for posting your very clever idea.
    When I say zero, it is when the bit is even with the bottom of the jig, so you would be drilling noting.

I set things up to put the pins in I set the collars on zero and then use a 1", 1 1/2", 2" dowel to make the marks on the slide.

I set the drill side (near side in the picture) against the bit and then put the dowel in the dowel side (far side in the picture) this gave me the points were I wanted the pins to go.