Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another neader noob

Thanks, I'm glad you guys are finding it informative! Uh, sorry about killing your morning, Billy!

I've got a couple more sections getting ready to post, need to get cracking.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Thanks for all the replies. I've made notes to reflect suggestions from just about every post

The saws I'm pretty set on getting the LV set + dovetail saw. I've held them and know they just feel right compared to other saws. And I love the high tech meets old fashion of matte black and dark stained wood.

Dave,
    I'll look at that marking gauge, not sure I remember looking at it yet. And thankfully my wonderful wife is very supportive of my wood working and so is her family. I'm thinking this will be an LV heavy Christmas

Andrew,
    Thanks for the scraper info, anything that can save money (and thus lead to more other tools) with out sacrificing quality is a big plus in my book.

Jason,
    Great info all around but I really appreciate the night time wood working reminder. Being able to work at night while folks are a sleep is a big plus for shop time and even more for shop temp since my shop is an non-air-conditioned garage for now.

Finally,
    Steve you cost me some productivity today but it was well worth it to re-read some things. I'm looking forward to the next posts!

Sounds like you got a great plan. what I did was bought a few GOOD tools new and when started building on them with user grade stal=nleys and others it honestly does save you a pile of $$$$.For example I bought a lie nielson % 1/2 no doubt my most used plan then after bought all others of ebay and creekers I have a set now all the way to the #7 and have less in all the stanleys and records that the one lie nielson.

Saws disstons are nice and I have had all mine freshened up it you will and like then alot.

Sharpening something I havent seen mentioned in a while is the Scary sharp system 3m psi sandpaper on safty glass. Personaly I have used most methodeds except ceramic stones and like this method the best and it is supper flexable yeah the paper wears out an tears but for the price of the 1000 grit stone ou can set yourself up to get started and its not as messy.

Re making my hand plans and saws has tought me some verrrryy valuble skills this knowlege is important to working with hand tools. It takes some time but theres not much about working with hand tools that is fast anyway. Ihave found it kinda like having a kid work with it slowly and dont get flustered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Branam View Post
    I've got a couple more sections getting ready to post, need to get cracking.
    Please do! They are great...
    Cheers,
    Peter

After sleeping on it and re-reading some here is the modified plan

Training, same as above: sharpening, scraping, dovetail mortise & tenon.

Purchasing;
    Round 1:
    1. Good bench
    2. 3 or 4 lv chisels - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and either 3/8 or 1-1/2"
    3. Scary sharp sand paper+glass setup
    4. Veritas Mk II honing guide
    5. Veritas standard dovetail saw
    6. Veritas carcass saw set (rip and crosscut)
    7. Scraper stuff
    8. LV marking gauge ( Glen-Drake tite-mark looks nice and will stay on my wish list for later)
    9. Combination square ??

Optionals for round one
    1. Mallet (i've got a hammer, chunks of wood I can carve up and a deadblow hammer already)
    2. Awl, bevel gauge and divider - I'm having a hard time seeing the need for a fancy ones right now. I'm sure I'll replace my BORG versions eventually

I already have a exacto knife for marking, #4 plane for smoothing and power tools to do dimensioning of lumber for now.

All that should be pretty easy to swing purchase wise or christmas gift wise and leave a little room in the budget to get some other stuff as I find I need it .

One last question, is there a good brand of Combination square out there besides Starrett that is still of good quality? I've searched around and haven't found much with reviews anywhere near the Starrett stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    One last question, is there a good brand of Combination square out there besides Starrett that is still of good quality? I've searched around and haven't found much with reviews anywhere near the Starrett stuff.
    I'd say this is one area where buying the premium brand is unquestionably the right choice. Browne & Sharpe is another well-regarded brand of machinist tools, but I don't think you'll save much by going with them. A well cared-for Starrett will last just shy of forever and be used as often as you pick up the marking knife or pencil.

That said, I was really enamored of the Lee Valley 4" double-square I got to play with at the Woodworking Show in Denver. Light, slim, and very tight tolerances. For smaller layout jobs, I'd really fancy one of those (hint, hint, in case my wife stumbles across this post while Christmas shopping ).
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

I started with the Marples blue-handled chisels, and later upgraded to the set of LV bench chisels. The LV chisels are nice for the price, but I would not recommend them for dovetails. The edges are very fat and I was bruising my dovetails. I ordered a set of the Ashley Iles which have much thinner edges. They seem fine so far, but if I was starting over I would probably just order the LN chisels and be done with it. Or, I would wait for Lee Valley's new chisels.

I have the LV dovetail saw and the new crosscut/rip set. Highly recommended.

I also have the LV marking gauge and the Tite-mark. I would order the cheapest LV gauge for now (no micro-adjust or graduations) and then get the Tite-mark later. You will need more than one. The Tite-mark is nicer--it doesn't roll off the bench, and it is easier to set.

Derek

In the saw department I'd say a great excercise is to buy parts or kits, Gramercy or Mike Wenzloff etc. and build a saw. They go quick and you end up with a really good saw. I love my Gramercy 12" rip carcass saw made from a kit. I use it for tenon-work and dovetails.

I'll also second that LV and LN are similar in performance, LN is traditional in the stanley/record appearance and LV is more progressive, they all work great.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop