Thread: Question about several tools

Question about several tools

I have been thinking about getting a few more tools and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which is the right one to get in each category. I am a little limited on money, so $300 and below is what I am looking to spend for each. So, what are your opinions on what is the best band saw, biscuit joiner, and dove tail jig for under $300 each (although, I'd love to spend as little as possible, especially for the dovetail jig [no larger than 16"])?

Also, do you really think that a bench jointer is necessary (I don't want to spend the money on it)? I haven't really felt the need to get it at this point but am just getting into finer woodworking. I have a plainer and if I get the band saw, I feel like I could do almost everything that the jointer can do. The only thing I worry about is warped wood, which I have read that a jointer can help with.

Thanks!

Dan - I guess it would be a little more helpful on what you like to (or intend to ) build, and try to line that up against the tools.

The obvious question for me on your list is - why a bandsaw? I would actually put a jointer on the list above a bandsaw, but that's just me. And you don't need a benchtop jointer - for just a few more dollars you can get into a decent 6" stationary one (search for the Ridgid jointer here on SMC, lots of posts/feedback).

A jointer and a planer are complementary - the planer will make one side parallel to the other, but first you need to get one side flat - that's where the jointer comes in.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Blog Entries
    I will second John's thoughts though on being able to answer better if we knew a little about what you are planning to do. If you are just tool collecting and looking for the best of breed in those categories and price ranges;

The Rikon 10" bandsaw or the Sears version get decent reviews here but they are small hobby machines at best. $300 should buy you a good used 14" cast iron saw.

If you can find an older Porter Cable 557 type 2 joiner on the shelf somewhere, it is a very nice biscuit joiner for $200. The newer dark gray versions are taking some heat for quality.

Dovetail jigs don't do much for me so I will let those in the know speak to this ;-)

My benchtop jointer became useless almost immediately I now have an 8" helical but, a jointer is important to the type of work I do. If it is incidental to you I would not waste the money or space on it ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-01-2010 at 2:30 PM.

I have the Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner. The ability to change blades and use the FF size biscuits sold me. It's been a fine machine and I use it a lot. It's held up very well for the past 4 or 5 years. You can get it for around $200.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...c&ddkey=Search

I got a deal on a 14" Delta bandsaw that I don't really use that often. I was able to get it for $200 used. You might want to keep an eye out on CL for a deal on a good bandsaw as I see them in my area quite often. I've heard some people brag about the Ridgid BS from Homedepot, but I've never actually used one. it looks a lot like my Delto though. It's $369 right now so with the money you saved on te bicuit joiner, you'd still be a little ahead.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00902579000P

I bought a cheap Craftsman DT jig but if I was going to start doing a lot of DT, I would look for something different. It was around $100 and I was able to get some good DT using it, but it was not the easiest set-up.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00902579000P

As far as the jointer - I would put that high on my list. I use mine all the time. In fact I wouldn't even think about getting the bandsaw until I had a jointer.

Thanks for your reply. I guess the main things that I plan to build would be furniture. I want a band saw so that I can make curved cuts. In case this would help as well, here's what I already have:

-Drill Press
    -Radial Arm Saw
    -Chop Saw
    -Table Saw
    -Router, which I'm going to make it so that I can put under a table and use as a table router as well (I'm somewhat limited on space, which is why I'd prefer to say away from a jointer if possible).

I'd skip the biscuit joiner. I have one and don't use it very often. I'd get a Kreg Pocket Hole setup instead.

If I were starting out again I'd save the money and get a slot cutting bit for my router, but since I already have a Freud Biscuit Jointer I use it. I'm also going to start working on dove tails, but I'm going to skip the jig on that too.

With the $900 I'd look at the Rigid Jointer (there's also a Masterforce Jointer with Granite tables and fences that's intriguing at Menards that I think is a clone) to save time/effort over a jointer sled, any of the quality 14" bandsaws on the market (Rikon, Rigid, Grizz, etc.) and a couple of DT saws and chisels.

Used Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiners are readily available - a lot of people are upgrading to Festool Dominos. I sold mine for $125 which included several jars of biscuits.

The Rigid 14" BS from the Home Depot is a severe POS. I bought one, clearanced for $220. The blade wheels werent in balance, and the drive belt induces even more vibration then the out of balance wheels. I took it back and spent the extra and got the Porter Cable at Lowes for $399. Much, much better machine. A search on the internet will reveal that the Rigid BS suffers this problem on a broad scale, not just an isolated incident.

I looked a 12" BS at sears, that appears to be a nice machine, its $399, and has all ball bearing blade guides and such, it looks impressive enough that i wish i'd seen it before i bought the Porter Cable.

band saw: Wow, that's a hard one for just $300. Perhaps you could spend less on the other tools and pay more for a good bandsaw. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 14" bandsaw. The Grizzly G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw is selling for $425 plus shipping. I have the Craftsman Professional 1 hp 14'' Band Saw (22401). I've found it to be a good bandsaw except for my recent problem with the run capacitor on the motor, but that could happen with any motor in the shop. Right now the Craftsman is selling for $559.99 ("full price"), but it goes on sale often. There is no shipping if you pick it up as a Sears store.

biscuit joiner: I thought I saw a sale flyer from Rockler with the Porter-Cable Deluxe Biscuit Joiner, Model 557 on sale, but the sale price isn't listed on their website. Amazon lists them for $178.30 right now (price can change up or down at any time).

dovetail jig: There are a lot of choices. I'd suggest that you do a search on SMC for what people have to say about them and decide from there.

Bench top jointer: Don't waste your money. Like you said, you can build furniture without one. When you do decide that you have to have a jointer an 8" is the minimum size that I would recommend.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Question about several tools

I sent you a PM.

A couple of years ago, I bought a factory re-conditioned Delta Band saw on eBay for less then $300. If I had to cut hull parts for a 3 mast man-o-war, my saw would be pretty stressed, (me too) but it is a nice saw.

Given that you want to ramp up your router, look at MLCS or Peachtree or any number of router accessories places. To get joining and dovetailing abilities with a nice router table and jigs.

Just my plugged nickel.

I may have missed it in the thread, but what kind of wood do you use? Surfaced and dimensioned I would guess since you don't have a jointer? Or do you use a planer sled?

If you're just starting out and use wood from the borg, I could see why you don't think you need a jointer. If you haven't used rough sawn lumber you have a lot to look forward to! I'd suggest trying to get a blow out Rigid 6" jointer, or of course at best getting a used 8" jointer but that would take up a lot of space which you probably don't want to do.

You could also use a planer sled, but in my experience it is a a lot of work with not the best results.

You should be able to easily find a 14" bandsaw used for under $300.

I'd hold off on a bandsaw if you only have $300. I'd budget between $500 and $1000 for a quality new bandsaw. Or you can cruise Craigslist and get lucky. For now, just get a Bosch jigsaw for your curved cuts.

For dovetail jigs, I'd cruise ebay and the classifieds here for a while. This is the kind of thing a lot of people spend a lot on, use it once, and then realize it's taking up space. I think of it as the 'treadmill' of shop tools...

Last, to be a total poo-pooer, consider getting a Domino or Doweling jig - or even a Kreg pocketscrew jig over a biscuit jointer. The BJ's are convenient and good for alignment, but for many 'furniture' apps, they're not that strong.

Nix the biscuit joiner and the dovetail jig. Blow your entire budget on a decent bandsaw, which you can use to cut joinery and dovetails

OP did state that he is just getting into finer woodworking.

From that you don't have to get into the big boy tools right away.

I would see nothing wrong with:

A good jigsaw vs. a band saw

A PC 557 Biscuit cutter because you can change out the blade for ff biscuits. Biscuits are handy and do have there place.

If you want a cheap benchtop jointer, a Delta JT160 will meet your needs. You can always upgrade in the future and sell this one off if you don't wear it out.

A Rockler dovetail jig will also get you started in the dovetail world.

So, $200 for a jointer, $150 for a jig saw, $180 for a biscuit cutter, and $120 for a dovetail jig and you are in business.

Keep in mind that this list is budget responsible and will get you where you need to go. Upgrade in the future if you find that you need something more out of a certain tool. All of the above are respectable enough for starting out.