Thread: bandsaw: resawing a small log

bandsaw: resawing a small log

We took down an old apricot tree this past summer and I was interested in seeing if I could get any usable wood out of the trunk. It isn't terribly big (9-10" wide) and only about 3 feet that was pretty straight. I painted the ends and let it sit for a bit, but now I'd like to start getting it broken down into some sort of planks so it can dry out more evenly and eventually become something useful.

So my question is: how do you support a small (65 lb) log like this when working on a small bandsaw? (euro-style 14", so just enough resaw capacity, but the table isn't very big) I'm anticipating that I'll need to screw it down to a piece of plywood to make my first flat cut. But doesn't seem like it would be easy to support towards the end of the cut. I expect folks would have some sort of outfeed support -- is there a conventional form for this? my table saw outfeed supports are all too low.

thanks,
    Matt

I would think that if you screw it to a piece of plywood, you won't need any additional support.

The log isn't that big or heavy.

The first half of the cut you can push on the log. Once you get halfway, go on the other side of the log and pull it the rest of the way.

This method works well for me.

Good luck,

Bill

The Felder US website has a demo video for the NN4400 bandsaw which late in part 1 shows a set up for re-sawing small logs in action which might be useful. http://www.hammerusa.com/video.php?r...&video_id=1031 Click the relevant link in the lower half of the page....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-01-2010 at 10:10 PM.

I built the model shown in the link above that was in American Woodworker several years ago and have used it for many short and small diameter logs. It works well because it has a runner to fit in the miter slot. I think you could get away with just screwing it to a sheet of ply but a runner will help to cut a straight line. Of course you can run the plywood against a fence as well to facilitate the cut accuracy.

Okay, thanks all.
    My saw doesn't have the outfeed support table of the Hammer, and I'm a bit cautious about the arrangement getting tippy as the sled goes off the back edge.

I'll remove the blade and try a dry run with the "go halfway, and walk around to the outfeed area" approach.

Matt

If it's any help, a couple of months ago I put 4 cherry cants through the bandsaw and planer. The cants were given to me by a friend and laid on sawhorses in my garage for a couple of years. They were about 12" wide and 6" high and a little over 4 feet long.

I used a 16" Delta bandsaw and fed them into the blade entirely by hand.

they fit o.k. under the blade support since I started by trimming the sides off. that made them narrow enough to joint and after that I planed them. I ended up with what I thought was the largest possible block I could get from each one and stacked those with stickers under other lumber I have on a rack. That's been a lot of months now and so far there's no checking or warping going on with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    We took down an old apricot tree this past summer and I was interested in seeing if I could get any usable wood out of the trunk. It isn't terribly big (9-10" wide) and only about 3 feet that was pretty straight. I painted the ends and let it sit for a bit, but now I'd like to start getting it broken down into some sort of planks so it can dry out more evenly and eventually become something useful.

So my question is: how do you support a small (65 lb) log like this when working on a small bandsaw? (euro-style 14", so just enough resaw capacity, but the table isn't very big) I'm anticipating that I'll need to screw it down to a piece of plywood to make my first flat cut. But doesn't seem like it would be easy to support towards the end of the cut. I expect folks would have some sort of outfeed support -- is there a conventional form for this? my table saw outfeed supports are all too low.

thanks,
    Matt
    Apricot? I'd be really interested in seeing what that looks like when you get it cut up.

I'm still working on refurbing my used 14" bandsaw, but I'm interested in milling some of my own small lumber, too.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Get someone to help with the weight on the outfeed side. I'm building an outfeed table for my Rikon 10-325 for the same purpose. Some of my logs are 6' x 12"