Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Invasion of the Mustard Monster...

Hey congrats on the new toy...uh I mean tool, you certainly look happy, hope you get to enjoy it for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    i have one of those ugly yellow things. nice machine
    tried turning a 20 incher yesterday
    got the outside roughed out and now am reversing it to do the inside
    which leads me to advise on what chuck to buy
    THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST YOU CAN AFfoRD. vicmarc 140 or oneway
    you will wish you had it when you go to tackle something that big
    you can get jaw set sup to 6 inches for thsoe two chucks
    as well as smaller ones too
    just my opinion
    I agree with Allen that the Vicmarc chucks are great. I have a VM120 on my lathe and use the 5" jaws for larger bowls. You can get even bigger jaw sets for these chucks, up to 9 inch according to Craft Suppies:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...dovetail?Args=

Wonderful lathe, you will enjoy this for years to come.

I have the Stronghold chuck, and until just recently used only the #2 jaws that came with it, but needed the #3's for a project a month ago. I have used these a couple of times now since purchase.

Nice lathe. Enjoy. As others have said, the SN2 and number 2 jaws it comes with at Woodcraft will do a lot to start. Enjoy!

Thanks fellas, Unfortunately I didn't make it to Woodcraft today so no chuck yet, but I will be going there in the morning hopefully (Its an hour and half drive from my house.) I am going to start out with a SN2 and we will go from there, There will be more chucks to come in the near future, I just need one to get me started. I will definitely be making some curlies as quickly as possible, hopefully the turning tools will arrive tomorrow as well.

I know, it is far too clean! I promise I will try and dirty it up a bit for ya next time!

No, bed extension on this one yet, I will be saving that one for later. Hopefully one day for Outboard turning.

I put the bulk of my budget into getting the biggest lathe I possibly could afford/justify so I will have to "earn" some extra's like extra chucks and specialty tools later. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze the monster articulated system in there, (It's looking promising.) I am blessed that my time is not as valuable as some folks, so changing jaws etc. is all part of the "learning" experience for me. That stuff will work its way out in the end anyway, the BIG Turner upstairs always sees fit to that, in my experience... he's gotten me this far

Yes, I looked them up and no extensions bonus any more. I bought mine in 2009 and they had a special going with free extension. The extensions are not cheap either. Not sure I would have bought one myself otherwise.

Rick, if you get the SN2, make sure you dont leave the store without the insert for your lathe. I made this mistake when I ordered mine (I didnt know) and had to wait another few days to have it mailed to me!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott, yes, I noticed that. Thanks for the heads up though... that would be something that I would do. Speaking of which, I better make sure they have the insert in stock before I drive all the way over there

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Rick. And thats a great picture.

Congratulations on an EXCELLENT choice for a turning "mate."
    May she ever bring you joy!
    Change One Thing

Congrats, Rick. It's a great lathe. If you haven't already, you may want to start thinking about tool storage.

Oops, that will involve FLAT work!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-06-2010 at 9:09 AM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Rick,

Check out the Hartville tool Holiday 2010 catalog. The Oneway Stronghold chuck on sale for $260.00 which includes 4 DVD's. Also the Oneway Live center is on sale for 89.97.

Congrats on the new lathe. I have the same one and you are going to love it.

Terry

Congratulations Rick, that is one sweet lathe and the choice of the SN2 is a good one. Have fun & send us some pics of the dirty mustard and turnings

Rick,

Congrats! Those things look sweet. While your out get some hot dogs too. Nothin' goes better with hot dogs than Mustard!

I find my self using the standard 50, my mini step and pin jaws the most.

Have fun.

Congratulations, Rick! No turning back now!