Thread: what kind of tools should a beginner get to carve this -->

what kind of tools should a beginner get to carve this -->

I've seen a few projects to inspire a foray into carving and this carved box lid http://lumberjocks.com/projects/4066#
    seems like it would be an decent place to start. I have a full set of hand tools but no carving tools. Are there 2 or 3 gouges that could get me started and see if I like carving?

Starting tool

I may be the wrong person to advise you on this, since my carving skill sucks.
    But that doesn't deter people from giving advice.

I have too many tools, so I advise buying ONE good gouge and learning its/your capabilities and limitations.

A 5mm number 5 gouge is a a useful size and a good place to start.

I've seen lots of folks refered to this link: http://www.littleshavers.com/

I haven't bought anything from them but have seen lots of positive comments regarding them. I understand that he sharpens them before they are sent so you know they are ready to carve when you receive them. They also have a beginners set that is no too expensive. Be sure you get a carving glove whatever you decide to do.

Good luck and hope you enjoy carving.

The inside is done with a router and a template. The only carving is the top. The problem is matching the curve to a gouge. You may have to take a picture in to the store and get them to make suggestions.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lucky me, I am taking a class this weekend from Nora Hall. She requires 7 chisels for the class. A little more than I would like but when you go into a new area, it usually requires some level of buy-in.

Spirals like that take a progression of sizes/sweeps to achieve the smooth progression in size.
    In this Woodwright's Shop episode, there is a short bit on carving a volute that will give you an idea how it works. (Starting at about 14:15)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The inside is done with a router and a template.
    Mike
    Mike, I disagree. Although it could be done with a template and router, the poster says that it is a band sawn box. That means that the bottom and the lid are sliced off and the center section is cut by a band saw or a scroll saw into the chambers. The bottom is reattached with glue and the lid is carved. I think this would be the only way to get the scroll like details on the chamber walls.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Yeah, I 'd have to say that's a bandsaw box as well. The bottom corners are square, you can see the glue joints, the intersections etc. all point to a band saw. The outside was just rounded over.
    As far as the volute and remainder of the carving goes a few chisels could get you through it. I'm not sure of the overall dimensions. This could be relatively small to somewhat larger,but based on the photos, grain size etc. would 6 inches seem reasonable? If it's in that ballpark you could start the tightest part of the curves with something in the 11/3-5 range. With multiple cuts which overlap, and rolling the 11 on it's side you could in effect carve a good part of the volute with this tool if your budget or tool selection is limited. Getting out further in the curves a 9 , or a 7 could finish off the majority of the curves with sanding smoothing out the transitions. Where the main surface dives back into itself,, a 2 would handle this as well as using it reversed to carve away the bulk of the outside surface of the piece.
    Just how I'd approach it if working under limits. Then again,, that's probably all I'd use anyhow.
    The Woodworking Studio