Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite secondary woods for hand tool users?

When I think of secondary wood, I'm usually thinking of drawer sides, cabinet backs, and so on; not the show wood, but not always entirely hidden, either.

I used a lot of poplar at one time, but at least for drawer sides in better work I switched to mostly quartered white oak, occasionally quartered ash, both of which work reasonably well, are quite stable over time, and look better and wear better than many other "secondary" hardwoods.

Similarly, for something like the back of a glass front cabinet, I'd use a wood that's reasonably attractive. For bookcase shelving, however, I'd go with just about anything that was available in the thickness I wanted, edged with the primary wood.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out that a local hardwood dealer is closing next week and I just reserved a pack (over 200bf) of soft maple for less than $1/bf. Hate that they are closing. I will have to see what else they have Monday.

Much of the choice should be based on function. I do period pieces, mostly Queen Anne and early Chippendale. When I make a New England piece I use white pine as the secondary wood. For a NY or mid-Atlantic piece the secondary choice for me is poplar. Having announced those choices, I do make exceptions. For drawer sides and drawer slides I often use either red or white oak for its hardness and wear resistance. For the Windsors chairs I've built, maple for the spindles, legs, and stretchers, pine for the seat, and red oak for the bows and spindles. Sean is absolutely correct.

Shop furniture is a different story. If it is going to be painted, it's usually poplar. Other than that, it depends what is relatively cheap as the lumber yard. Today for instance I bought some 8/4 red oak cutoffs for 50% off to build a saw bench. 10bdft for $23.00 and it will be heavier, thicker, and tougher than spruce framing lumber for just a few bucks more.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave,isn't that Chip- and- Dale furniture for squirrels???

Good shot George. I really hate the term Chippendale, it's a lousy name for late Georgian rococco furniture but it's the one everyone seems to know.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have nothing against Chippendale. Just a silly joke I made up to tell the public. I also used to tell them " brand new and baroque(broke) already".

I haven't seen any mention of using alder as a secondary wood. It tools nice and is low in cost. I prefer it to poplar as I find poplar to be stringy. I have alder as a primary wood to build cabinets. It takes a stain well, but you have to apply a light coat of shellac first.

Louis "Art" Reed

I bought a bunch of quarter-sawn Sycamore really cheap (about $1.00/bf) a while back. It was frequently used as a secondary wood, and I figure I now have a lifetime supply of it.

IMO secondary wood should be QS so you can build your drawers with close tolerances and there's less worry about cupping/warping etc... Stability should be the primary concern. I think I read somewhere that Pine was a popular choice because it is more stable than most hardwoods, particularly if they aren't QS.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I use Poplar if it's an "everyday" type of item. For stuff I hope my Kids get one day, I use soft maple. Of course, I love Walnut for the primary, so maple just seems the natural choice...