Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell it like it is!

Want to see an interesting trend? Look at the positions people are taking on this issue, and look at how many posts they have...

This seems to be a lower number of posts vs higher number of posts issue.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What are you trying to say Mike?

Are you trying to instigate something?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    As an example, I love Weber grills, I have 4 of them. I've had them for the last 20 years or so, and I think the sun shines out of their ashpans. I look at the $20 grills in front of Kroger with disdain. They're utterly worthless. They're made of pathetically thin steel, painted surfaces, oddly shaped rounded-square design, thin, flexible grill plates, yadda yadda. I wouldn't inflict one as a gag gift on somebody. But then if I had never grilled before, I would spend $20 and see if it was OK. I'd quickly learn that I needed a better grill. I know that now, 20 years on. Conversely, my colleague has a couple of Big Green Eggs. He looks down his nose at my Webers, and rightly so. But then he has well north of $2000 invested in his Big Green Eggs.(Much less than I have in my shop ) I get great results from my Webers, and he gets outstanding results from his. Then we have our other work colleague who just likes grilled burgers. Whether I bring my Weber in or Greg brings his Big Green Egg.

A matter of perspective.
    The real question is gas vs charcoal vs wood. And don't get me into a smoker vs. grill discussion. Those can really get out of hand.

Johnny,

I wasn't going to wade in on this but....

I use a Weber gas grill with a pan of water soaked hickory chips to provide the smoke.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Listen, Mr. 18,000+ poster, first of all, have you ever known me to instigate at all? Secondly, I'd consider myself one of the higher number posters here. While 2,000 ain't no 18,000, for the purposes of my other post, I think it lets you know where I stand.

Besides, it was merely an observation that those with fewer posts were taking one side, while those with many posts took the other. Not instigating, observing and remarking on the observation.

I believe that those that have been here a while and/or frequent the forum, have a different view as to its values and what it is best used for. Believe me, I've used this place for both, heck ALL that it has to offer. I've whined and moaned, I've gloated, I've asked questions, given opionions, helped when I could, had fun, learned, and while it may not seem like it, I've even bit my lip more than anyone here would imagine. This place is awesome for ALL those reasons...not just as a place to post grievances. But, it is a good place for that, too...
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Weber Performer. A charcoal grill with a gas ignition system. Best of both worlds. I wonder what's for Sunday dinner tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Matt,

Were you aware that you can be held responsible for libellous statements on the Internet and SawMillCreek has received threats of law suits by manufacturers for allowing threads with unproven allegations to go on too long? Don't take my word. Ask Keith Outten owner/administrator.

Believe me every argument that can come up about this subject has been discussed for many hours in the Moderators Forum.

While some may find this hard to believe, Moderators don't enjoy editing or moving threads. We catch enough subtle "jabs" and some not so subtle from members about it when we take one of those actions.

The Terms Of Service that all members acknowledge when they join states you can complain but you must present factual pertinent supportive information for your complaint. That means we aren't going to allow you to run to every thread that a company is mentioned in or any thread that customer service is mentioned in and give a generic rant.

Believe me....Moderators are invited unpaid volunteers. We aren't on the payroll of Festool, Grizzly, SMC or any of the advertisers here.
    Ken, you and the other moderators here on SMC do a super job. The contributions you make to this forum make it a very special place when compared to some of the other WWing forums.

As to the OP, I understand your frustration on some of the posts. They can get personal. Each of us bring our own experiences and knowledge to this forum. While that is what makes this a great place for information it is also what can cause problems. The key word you used in the post was respect. It's a very simple word, but one that is often forgotten in today's world. If each person showed due respect for others it would go a long way toward improving the posts and give the administrators less work.

Yes, I'm one of those who posted recently about a tool problem. I was very appreciative of those who tried to help out. I also tried to help others by posting the solution for the problem just in case they experienced the same problem. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to spend my hard earned money on something and have it fail. Hearing experiences from others on tools, both good and bad, helps me tremendously. I appreciate those who share their experiences here.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    It is all about the shims...
    Is that a gender flip flopper?

Webber gas here with the soaked chips and needing a charcoal solution too one of these days.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've been on other forums, one particular comes to mind; an unmoderated professional forum that will go un-named here. That forum often degenerates into name calling and vituperation. Doing posts and responses on any forum can be fraught with danger. Black and white typing does not allow the recipients of the post to see the nuances of facial expression and body language. Often tongue in cheek posts are taken as affronts. It is up to us to word our posts and responses carefully so that what we mean agrees with what we said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    .......... have you ever known me to instigate at all...

I am 100% positive that Ken keeps an "Instigators" list - I have accused him of it in a PM, and he basically took the "neither confirm nor deny" route.

I know I am on it, and my money says you are also, Mike. There are another half-dozen guys I am sure are on it also - and they know who they are......

Its a joke, guys - back away from the keyboard. Ken is just as even-keeled as the rest of the excellent Mod Squad, with the exception that he seems more willing to post his thoughts, which I always find thought-provoking. Don't always agree with him tho [espcially about the explosive properties of dust thru PVC pipe ]. heh-heh-heh-heh. I just moved up a couple spots on his list!!!! Hot Dog!! [ooops - accidental wise-guy SS reference].
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.