Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alaska shop

New Alaska shop

I just finished up the electrical on my garage/shop. It's been a long/expensive process, but I'm pretty happy with it. The building is 32x24 with 10' ceilings. I live in a place where it gets COLD, (-70 F), so it's primary purpose in the winter is a home for my truck. Still, it leaves me half of the building for a shop, with the ability to expand into the other half for 5-6 of the warmer months a year.

Although a lot of jobs were contracted out on it, a lot of the project was done by my stepfather and myself.

So far all I've got is a band saw, dust collector fresh out of the box, and some sanding, grinding and buffing equipment that my grandfather gave me. I don't have any good finished interior pictures at the moment, but here are some from the construction process:

Here is the foundation going in. There is 2" rigid foam under the entire foundation, with gravel piled in the middle to make the footing thicker.

It's got in-floor insulation for higher comfort factor:

Here is the basic structure started. I've got one 8x10' garage door, and two man doors.

For the foundation, I put in 4' of rigid foam against the slab, and another 18' buried horizontally.

In addition to 6" of blown-in insulation, there are 2" of rigid foam around the outside of the structure under the siding. It gives me a total of R-43 in the walls, with the ceiling sitting around R-55.

Rather than pull off the 100A house line, I upped the power at the pole to 200A, and had a separate 100A breaker put in for the garage, then trenched it in directly to the building. (This was stupid expensive, but gives me a lot more capacity and peace of mind).

Here is the exterior finished... minus the stain and seal, which went on this summer.

I'll post some interior stuff next week after I've had a chance to clean it up a little.

Look great so far. I see it is already cold and snowing up that way. I suppose a picture of a Grizzly looking in the window may get posted one day.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

I'll just drag my bandsaw over to the door and get a picture of a Grizzly looking out of the window.

Looks great!
    What part of the state are you in? Have a friend near North Pole and gets like -70 below
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm in Tok. It's about as cold a place as you can get when it hits the extremes.

Nice looking building!

Enjoy the new space Jason. It looks like you and your building companions did a good job.

It looks like you've got the insulation and heat thing covered... good thing...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fastenau View Post
    I'll just drag my bandsaw over to the door and get a picture of a Grizzly looking out of the window.
    Funny! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Fastenau View Post
    I'm in Tok. It's about as cold a place as you can get when it hits the extremes.
    My friend use to teach school there.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Beautiful shop Jason. I bet all of that insulation will pay off quickly.
    I spent a few winter months working on Kodiak. It got plenty cold but nothing like -70!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

At -70 you may need a tunnel from your home to the man cave...
    Nice looking shop Jason!

Blog Entries
    Nice shop Jason. Good size and layout to it.

I spent 1978, 1979 in Anchorage. I cant remember what the temps were but they werent -70.

PHM

I remember a course in arctic engineering at the University of Alaska. There were big problems dealing with permafrost. The weight of any building would melt the permafrost unless insulated using extraordinary measures. Good thing you don't have to deal with that too.

Yeah, thick gravel here, so no permafrost thankfully

Nice job!

That is a lot of insulation (smart). Are you going to heat it with oil or gas or ??? Also, can you predict heating costs?

What kind of Internet connection do you have?
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 12-05-2010 at 2:08 PM.