Thread: blade for making knife

blade for making knife

I am in the process of making a marking knife, I was thinking of using a piece of bandsaw blade to use for marking the knife blade

Can anyone please advice on which type of bandsaw blade would make the best choice as a blank for the blade

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 12-04-2010 at 1:20 PM.

What kind of a knife are you making?

A bandsaw blade is pretty thin and by the time you grind off the teeth there isn't much left.

You might consider a hacksaw blade..even better a power hacksaw blade.

Quite a few years ago I bought and expensive three knife set of marking knives from Garrett Wade. They pretty much set in a drawer and when I want to mark something I reach for my trusty exacto knife.

Fine Woodworking did a review of marking knives including the exacto knife and concluded the exacto knife worked as well as any of the marking knives reviewed.

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I use a cheap little Swiss chip carving knife mynself, but a guy at work has made them out of strapping irons from the packs of wood, heavier BS blades, sazall blades, just about anything in the .040"-.060" thickness. They are plenty rigid even at that thickness as there isn't a lot of projection nor a lot of down pressure needed for marking. I think something in the 3/4" width seems about right. His look like Japanese style marking knives but work from both sides, almost like a large exacto blade.

5. Peter mentioned the use of sawzall blades -- great idea. I'd probably start with "The Ax", a Lennox-brand sawzall blade. Good thickness, great stiffness......

(I have no affiliation.........)

Wouldn't hurt to check your spelling. Never heard of a MAKING knife.

I save my dull jigsaw blades to grind for marking knives.

A good source for small tools is old small files. I don't know anything about modern file metallurgy, but some of the steel I've inherited from grandfathers and great-grandfathers have made remarkable tools. I've had good luck annealing them, working them to shape, then re-hardening and tempering.

The piece of bandsaw blade I have is 1.5 mm thick(carbon steel) This similar in thickness to the blade on a Blue Spruce marking knife
    see below

Blue Spruce Toolworks marking knives and awls are the finest marking tools available. The single bevel, spear-point marking knife blades are made from hardened and tempered A2 tool steel to take and hold a keen edge for razor sharp layout lines. The small marking knife is now available with two blade thicknesses. The standard blade is a very thin 1/32" thick (0.8mm) and is designed for small dovetails in stock up to 0.8 inch (20mm) thick. The small marking knife also is available with an ULTRA-THIN .020 inch ((.5 mm) thick blade for marking single entry dovetails. The large marking knife has a 1/16 inch (1.6mm) thick blade and can be used with stock up to 2 inches (50mm) thick.

Further I could use an old hacksaw blade ,a piece of carbon steel band saw blade or a piece of m42 bandsaw blade
    I note that Blue Spruce use A2 steel is it worth going to the trouble of obtaining a supply of this

Which one of these materials would make the best blade

regards Brian
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 12-04-2010 at 1:45 PM.

I am making a knife similar to the Blue Spruce marking knifes

regards Brian

Following an idea I picked up somewhere along the line, I made mine from a spade bit. You can buy an individual bit at any hardware store. It was not much work to file it into the shape I wanted; a single-bevel, dual-edge, spear point. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge well enough for a marking knife.

The main reason I recommend considering this is the ease of handling. Just drill a hole in an interesting chunk of scrap wood. Epoxy the round tang in the round hole. Then have some fun whittling a custom shaped handle.

I've attached a photo. White Oak Marking Knife (scrap from the banister project). The other one is some sort of metal working reamer from Grandpa Mack's bench drawer full of odds and end and a bit of Holly from my brother's back yard. It's my Marking Awl.

Love these quick and easy home made tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unless you are experienced and equipped with a proper heat treating oven,you aren't going to harden A2 without ending up with a soft surface on it. Why not just make the blade out of an old HSS jointer knife? If you put a long bevel on the blade,the 1/8" thickness won't matter. I'd rather not have a marking knife made of thin,flexible metal that might bend and side track off into the wood's grain.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-04-2010 at 3:33 PM.

Thank you for your reply I will do what you suggest and obtain an old HSS planer knife

regards Brian

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies .I will use an old HSS planer knife as suggested by George

regards Brian