Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your "WOODWORKER OF THE YEAR"?

Dave Diaman

+2 Dave Diaman

I dont have any favorites, I like them all. I have nominated myself as Wood Butcher of the year......HA!

Of course all these guys mentioned do marvelous work.
    But Time uses criteria of how the person affects us all.
    Therefore, I also nominate “Thomas McDonald of “Rough cut woodworking with Tommy MAC”.
    Thomas has taken Norms work a step further. He is bringing fine wood working to the masses.
    For example hand cut dovetails, using hand planes for a smooth finish instead of Norm’s ever present R O sander.
    He has a unpretentious manner, and makes seemingly difficult tasks doable
    Also there’s his “Bombe secretary”, and Federal style furniture.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Another vote for Tommy Mac. His work is impeccable and anyone who starts a new woodworking show is gonna get my vote.

I think those dead guys oughta be removed from consideration.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Pat on the back to me

I select me as the "Woodworker of the Year" around here as I'm the one paying the bills through woodworking. I very much doubt that I would be anyone else's choice but they aren't paying my bills either!

I truly think that the "Woodworker of the Year" is someone who we will likely never meet or even hear of, rather that person is a dusty, solitary and driven individual who is all consumed by a passion to create and $$$ nor time nor common sense is holding them back from doing the best work that they possibly can do. I will always vote for the unknown woodworker because all of the recognized names have recieved their accolades already and in many cases the people who win these types of "awards" do so because they nominate and promote themselves.

Dave Diaman, I just seen his piece of art.

My wife. She does ok turning pens on the lathe and has started to learn to use the scroll saw.

My criteria for Woodworker of the Year is: Who has had the greatest impact/influence on my woodworking hobby this year?

Without a doubt, it's Charles Neil. His "Mastering Woodworking" podcast subscription has elevated my skills several levels in a short time. Each "episode" is what I always wished NYW would have been like.

I don't mean to make this an advertisement for Neil. I'm just very thankful that the right educational opportunity for ME came along this year.

-Mike

In the category of guys who post here

Charles Neil. He's a great teacher and just a down to earth kind of guy.