Thread: Introduction and new shop

Post Introduction and new shop

I've been browsing this forum for some time and have picked up a lot. I haven't posted because I don't really have enough experience to help others yet.

I recently retired after a little over 30 years in the fire service, the last 16 or so as chief of department. I have always liked to work with my hands and have had an interest in woodworking. I've done a few small things, but nothing significant yet. One of my first plans in retirement was to put up a shop so I could have a place to keep me busy, especially when it is too cold and wet to fish.

Here is a link to the first of several pictures showing the shop construction. Just keep clicking on "Next" to go through them all.
    http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...GroundWork.jpg

It is 40' x 40' overall, and I should be able to dedicate about 25' x 30' to woodworking equipment. I had the shell built, but I am doing the remainder myself. I have most of the interior framing done, and I had my meter loop and power hook-up installed this week. There's still a lot of work to do, but I enjoy doing it. I look forward to learning more from the good folks on this forum.

Welcome to the Creek Harry! Nice looking building that should make a wonderful shop.

Thanks for your years as a fire fighter BTW! When ever I think of an example of a hero, soldiers, sailors, marines, air men, police and firefighters are the first professions come to my mind. They put the lives in danger for the rest of us everyday.

Again...Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice building... its like a monument...

Blog Entries
    Welcome Harry.

Looks like it will be a great shop.

PHM

Smile

It looks good to me, I wish I had offset my garage door instead of putting it in the middle.

The police officer in me says that you will have plenty of room for a couple of Barcaloungers to make you feel at home too.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Creek, and I am so jealous.

Welcome to SMC Harry. Congratulations first on your retirement. Your shop is coming along very well. Keep us posted on your progress. Enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Fishermen and Carpenters Always Welcome Here

It looks like you have a great setting and a terrific building for your shop. I recently had a staff member retire who told me, "It looks like I made it to the end, or the beginning." Enjoy your new beginning! Glad you found us.