Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more oil in California

No more oil in California

Went to my local Rockler today to get a quart of Watco. Seems everything was taken from the shelves last month due to AQMD (Air Quality Management District) restrictions.
    OSH paid for a variance to sell their remaining stock, so I was able to get a couple quarts there. Also stocked up on Oil Varathane as it was taken off Home Depot's shelf last week.

Way things are going, I'll have to get friendly again with my brother in Spokane.

They just kept lowering the VOC requirements until the oil products can't meet them.

Two comments:

1. The water based products aren't bad. Once you learn how to use it, it works well. The worse thing is that the water based stuff is clear so it doesn't look orange like the oil based. You can fix that by spraying wax free orange shellac as a seal coat.

2. You can order oil based products by mail if you really want to use that. Companies outside CA will ship the stuff to you at a CA address.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    1. The water based products aren't bad.
    I'll go a step further and say that many are actually quite good. It's just different.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'll go a step further and say that many are actually quite good. It's just different.
    I agree. I use waterbased finishes because I have a small basement shop and a wife with a mega-nose. To get the oil based look, I use BLO and let it dry for several days, then the waterbased finish. I like Minwax Polycrylic. One advantage is fast drying times.

Sounds like just another reason to move out of Cali
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    CA is still paradise compared to anywhere else in the world. We just complain to discourage others from finding out how wonderful life is here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

2. You can order oil based products by mail if you really want to use that. Companies outside CA will ship the stuff to you at a CA address.

Mike
    That won't be true for long. It's amazing how much California gets by with regulating Interstate commerce. When my wife and I bought our new house I found a beautiful stained glass lighting fixture for the ceiling in one of the rooms. Because the glass had lead in it which is toxic if consumed it couldn't be shipped to California. I guess they were protecting children or adults who decided to chew or suck on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I agree, but other than all the over regulation I enjoy living here. For me it's an easy tradeoff for the beautiful weather. It won't be long before many of the regulations we have will be extended to other parts of the country.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

NOTE: This item is banned in VOC restricted areas.

Banned in AZ, CA, IL, IN, MA, NH, OH, RI, and VA.

We can not ship this to states it is banned in.

Last edited by John Keeton; 12-05-2010 at 6:24 AM. Reason: To delete link to ebay

What the heck? Is that why I can't find varnish anywhere? Is BLO banned too?

Guess I'll just have to add that to my list of things to get on my contraband trips to NV or AZ. Proper gas cans, ammunition, vodka filtering chems, and now wood finishes.... Tell me again how we are free?

Just go to a different county -- Orange County and LA County have the strictist requirements, but you can often drive to San Diego County (which is in a different district) and purchase what you need there.

Scot

Rockler shipped to Orange county. I ordered and received 1 gallon of Arm-R-Seal Satin. With free shipping being offered right now from Rockler, it wouldn't hurt to try to order. That's what I did.
    Mike

CA is still paradise compared to anywhere else in the world. We just complain to discourage others from finding out how wonderful life is here.

Mike
    I lived there for 30 years and finally couldn't take the nanny state mentality any longer. CA is not a paradise by any measure...

We just moved to Hickory, NC and are loving it. Got a concealed weapons license right off the bat... tons of Watco on the shelf... decent paint... no traffic... house is paid for... no full set of fingerprints to buy a single round of ammo... gorgeous woods everywhere... talk about paradise...!!!

CA is a joke and the people there keep electing the ridiculous to lead them into an ever narrowing funnel of deceit and control... weather is nice, but then so is freedom...

Man... where did that come from... ?! Move along... nothing to see here...

Guys, don't let this thread drift into political debate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike De Luca View Post
    We just moved to Hickory, NC and are loving it. Got a concealed weapons license right off the bat...
    So, not a fan of water based finishes then?

Things are getting tighter fast here in CT as far as VOC redtrictions too. We still have watco, stuff like waterlox has been reformulated and restricted, and it will continue to get tighter each year. The water based stuff is great for my needs, some companies do it better than others.

My wife was offered a job in CA, but having spent some time there we both decided we'd rather shovel snow and eat yak fur if necessary to survive. Not everyone is California dreaming to say the least. I don't see the appeal of ranch homes in sparlling suburbs with rampant strip malls and nasty traffic. We have all that back east, but we also have white Christmases!

It's a Joke!

A bad joke. I mean really why worry about oil based finishing products when families of four in the US and Canada can often have 3 to 4 vehicles, two of which are likely SUVs that are used to pull a motorboat, a trailer full of off road motorbikes or quads.

This whole VOC finish thing is like worrying about the mole hill while the mountain is crashing down on our heads.

For the record, my two person family has a small car, a minivan and four motorcycles. When I'm not fouling the air with these I'm spraying, brushing or wiping VOC laden finishes with glee. I always take the time to reflect on the finished piece with a good cigar just to make sure I've stunk up absolutely everything.