Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight forstner bits

Harbor Freight forstner bits

I have a set of forstner from harbor freight and several of them are now very dull. Is it worth trying to sharpen them or should I just replace them? I think I just paid $20 for the set of 16 about 3-4 years ago.

I have a little diamond file that I use to flatten the backs of them to clean them up, but they need more then that at this point. Or should I replace them with higher quality bits as needed?

Thanks,
    Derek
    Not allowed

This might be pertinent to the discussion

From Bridge City Tools Website:

$5 for a 1/8″ Twist Drill? Only in America…
    October 25th, 2010
    “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.” –Aldous Huxley

This morning, during my morning routine of purging… junk mail from my inbox, I took a break and read the latest blog post by Chris Schwarz–who happens to be a writer that sounds like Tom Brokaw when he speaks.

This post reinforces the belief that conversations amongst kindred spirits are best lubricated with beer–surely beer is the foundation of all folklore.

But I digress. I shared the following experience with Chris via email today and thought it worthy of the Drivel Starved Nation.

Do you think Americans would pay $5 for a 1/8” twist drill?

You bet. By the tens of thousands times ten. And as unbelievable and absurd as it sounds, here is how.

About 10 years ago I was in an OEM Chinese factory that made bench grinders. You have seen them, ½ HP motor, two 6” grinding wheels, pig tail cord, a small plastic face shield and no nameplate—these would be attached by the American companies that bought them. The total cost per grinder, landed in the US was $7.15. Of course at this price it would be asking too much for a UL tag.

These grinders were, and still are being sold here and the prices range from $49 to $200– awesome margins by any standard.

Behind the factory floor there was a small mountain of insulated wire that had been pulled from old cars, appliances, televisions and the like and it was replenished daily. Surrounding the wire mountain were a couple of dozen women who were stripping the wire of insulation. These wire remnants were then spliced together and used in the grinder motor windings. Completely illegal, and dangerous. But cheap.

I thought I was shocked until I walked into the factory section that made twist drill bits. Here they were making, for the AMERICAN MARKET, those 59, 89, 119 pc drill sets found at the box stores and other discount joints for $19.95. Again, there were rows of women who were dipping the bits in what looked like Easter egg dye.

I asked the interpreter what they were doing. He replied, “They are making all the bits the same color as these four.” The four bits he pointed out were the 1/8”, ¼”, 3/8” and the ½”.

I asked why.

I learned that those four bits were properly hardened. The remaining 115 bits were made with what I call pot metal. The reason?

“Because those are the only four hole sizes that Americans use.”

I asked, as politely as I could, if there was any guilt or remorse for duping their American customers. The reply was shocking.

“In America, if it cost less than $20, nobody complains about quality—everybody in China knows this.”

So for those that complain about prices, you should be screaming mad if you have purchased one of these deals because your twenty bucks just likely purchased the four most expensive twist drills you will ever own. And in so doing, have made it that much more difficult for honest companies to compete.

More recently, I found myself at the local paint shop to purchase a Purdy paint brush—I have always liked them. So when I walked into the store I asked the sales rep to show me the most expensive brushes…

“I don’t get asked that very often..” he replied.

I then learned that the cheapest brushes outsell the flagged end bristle brushes by about 20 to one. The reason?

So people can throw them away rather than clean them.

And I am here to report that properly cleaning (and storing) a well-made paint brush is an honor for a tool that will last a lifetime.

In short, we are the world’s worst consumers and those that complain about prices are likely leading the chorus.

Obviously, as a member of the DSN, you are dancing to the beat of a different drummer, or, you are here because of my awesome and totally professionally rendered cartoons…

Either case I thought you might find my experiences enlightening.

–John

Posted in Behind the Scenes | 20 Comments »

WOW, did that answer you question ???
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    I have a set of forstner from harbor freight and several of them are now very dull. Is it worth trying to sharpen them or should I just replace them? I think I just paid $20 for the set of 16 about 3-4 years ago.

I have a little diamond file that I use to flatten the backs of them to clean them up, but they need more then that at this point. Or should I replace them with higher quality bits as needed?

Thanks,
    Derek
    The HF titanium nitride-coated HSS set is about $40, or $30 with a coupon.http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piec...set-39812.html
    I just bought a set of plug cutters made in Montana, USA so don't shoot me for offering this suggestion.
    http://www.montanabrandtools.com/
    Last edited by Jack Pinkham; 12-05-2010 at 8:29 AM.

Get a different file with a more aggressive milling. use them for practice sharpening. But get the new ones regardless.
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.

Blog Entries
    Based on that - I've learned I'm one of the guilty ones. I just bought four plug cutters from HF and when trying to use the first one, thought I was going to bend the handle on the drill press to get it to even go into pine.

That write up is a wake up call because it describes me - will change course for a couple of the reasons outlined.

Blog Entries
    In general I avoid purchasing things from HF that meaure or cut. They do have a number of diamonds in the rough as are frequently discussed here; drill bits, router bits and so forth are not one of them in my experience.

That being said, I do sharpen my Forstners. There are kits for this.
    One on sale right now I believe from somewhere . . . let me look . . . Ah, item 4174 form Peachtree: http://www.ptreeusa.com/sharpening.htm
    but, I get by with an Auger Bit file: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43072,43089 and a diamond rod: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2160,40710

Google "how to sharpen a forstner bit" and you will get plenty of hits on various methods. As to whether it is worth your time? If they have lasted a few years I would give it a go. I do find places like HF and MLCS to be a good source for items I want to try; if they prove useful, I replace them with good ones.

i have been buying freud forstners, unfortunately only one at a time. the ones i have cost $12 to $19 each, and i am glad to have them; they do have some multiple packs for $30 (4 bits?)

Blog Entries
    Picked up a package of spade bits from HF a couple of years back... either I had the hardest pine 2x4 in existence, or these things can't cut hot butter. They will be replaced the next time I need a spade...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Picked up a package of spade bits from HF a couple of years back... either I had the hardest pine 2x4 in existence, or these things can't cut hot butter. They will be replaced the next time I need a spade...
    The titanium-nitride coated extended spur set from HF cuts much better than the uncoated flat Stanley set I previously used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pinkham View Post
    The titanium-nitride coated extended spur set from HF cuts much better than the uncoated flat Stanley set I previously used.
    Do I detect another diamond in the rough to add to the list?

I have also been using a $9 set of spade bits, pretty much two of them - 7/16 and 9/16. I have drilled countless totes and knobs with them and they work fine.

For things like twist drills, I would get made in US sets if they weren't such a mint cost. They are aimed at people who are either using a corporate account or who are buying in volume and getting a discount.

When I was younger, all of the stuff like that was made in the US, most of it properly made, and there were versions that were a whole lot less cost than the inflation reduced price of the stuff now.

There are a lot of reasons for that, but it doesn't matter what they are, reasonable priced US made tools are no longer made in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Wong View Post
    Behind the factory floor there was a small mountain of insulated wire that had been pulled from old cars, appliances, televisions and the like and it was replenished daily. Surrounding the wire mountain were a couple of dozen women who were stripping the wire of insulation. These wire remnants were then spliced together and used in the grinder motor windings.
    I find that hard to believe, and will consider it urban legend until someone says they've actually seen it

I have a different story of tool manufacturers. A few years back I was an investor in a company that made a cart for maintenance people to carry their tools - each tool in a separate pocket, labeled and visible so the worker (or the boss) could to an inventory in 30 seconds and make sure each tool was there.

They sold this thing full of tools (everything from drill bits, to pliers, to chisels and screwdrivers) and didn't want crap, but didn't care who made it - they wanted the best tool for each each pocket. They also preferred to buy American if they could. At all the trade shows they found the American company reps unhelpful and not interested in helping a new company get their business. The reps for Chinese companies bent over backwards to help and answer questions. When they put the tools to the test they stacked up very well.

Sure there's crap made in Asia. But the idea that everything there is crap has gotten American companies (from Xerox to GM) in trouble.

On another forum a member who worked at Boeing related his experience with Chinese products. To assure financing for a new aircraft Boeing had to distribute portions of the fabrication to each country that was participating financially. China was to fabricate a part of the fuselage. The Boeing team was fearful that the Chinese part would be below Boeing quality standards and made plans to quietly discard the Chinese part for one made in house.
    When the part arrived Boeing engineers were surprised to see that the finish and tolerances were better than anything they had produced themselves.