Thread: Halfway there (OK, so maybe a little more than halfway)..

Halfway there (OK, so maybe a little more than halfway)..

Finally making some progress on this desk. Here is the sketchup (my own design):

Here is the bottom half:

Cherry and cherry ply with a walnut inlay in the desk top.

The hutches and bridge are pretty much built, but I had to get these first 3 pieces out of my shop to finish the other three. Hopefully have them done by New Years.

Here are some more pictures showing closer views:

A little bit of curl in the cherry ply I bought...

Looks Great!

Well Done!

It's turning out very well, all your design work sure has paid off. I like the curly cherry a lot.

Awe, man...all that hard work, then you sanded throught the veneer...TWICE! I can see it clearly in the last photo... If you've never done it, you won't get what I'm talking about.

Looks great. That'll get a lot of kudos from all you show it to. And maybe even a commission job or two.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Very nice. You do nice work. Finish looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Awe, man...all that hard work, then you sanded throught the veneer...TWICE! I can see it clearly in the last photo... If you've never done it, you won't get what I'm talking about.

Looks great. That'll get a lot of kudos from all you show it to. And maybe even a commission job or two.
    Yeah, those light reflections do look like I went through it. And yes, I've done it before, even on this piece. Actually, the walnut inlay was added because when I tried to level out the surface between the solid framing of the desk top and the plywood, I tore up the veneer when I went crossgrain. So, added a design feature....

Thumbs up

Wow! Is that real wood?

Classic, Chris! More than one piece has gotten an inlay to cover up such a slip. I had to do that with a corner piece (the kind that sits on your countertop in the kitchen with a roll top). While it was made of solid hickory, I had to route a dado/groove in the bottom of the top piece to let the three sides go into the top piece...Yeah, I put the groove on the top of the top piece...so it got a walnut inlay. Looks nice, though...

Great save. I'm impressed that your inlay needed to be that narrow. Usually, when you tear it up or go through, you do it good. Nice work.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Very nice job, Chris. Thanks for taking pics before bringing it over here. That way I don't have to.

You say it will be in my office before New Years?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

my favorite part is the banding around the drawer fronts. is this simple mitre banding or a rail and style?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Very nice job, Chris. Thanks for taking pics before bringing it over here. That way I don't have to.

You say it will be in my office before New Years?
    Gary,

I'll deliver it as soon as the check clears....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tesch View Post
    my favorite part is the banding around the drawer fronts. is this simple mitre banding or a rail and style?
    It's a simple beaded mitre banding. The drawer face centers are just plywood.