Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best tools purchase of the year?

I bought a woodworking bench at an auction for $60. Same bench sells new online for just over $1000. Same auction, an 8" Jet jointer for $150. A dust collector that sits on a trash barrel for $10.

Woodworking is just a hobby, so this was a good year for me.

John

Best tools of the year

Lowes close out on a Delta Drill Press, CL pick up on a Mini-Max 16" band saw.
    The Kids went together and pickup a 3 HP Oneida Super Gorilla for Father's Day.
    ( I'm still working on the ducting) My best friend pass away last year and his wife
    gave me his Delta Unisaw along with many his hand tools, very bitter sweet. I would like nothing more then too still have Cal here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you on SAWMILL CREEK. Tom

Haven't received it yet, but ordered a G9983 sander. And it is in stock. After reading the thread about the guy losing the bandsaw off the forklift, plan to put a strap around the sander to the back of the frame of the forks.

Hammer B3 Winner saw/shaper...............Regards, Rod.

Tough call. Either the Grizzly G0572 hanging air cleaner with remote, OR the clearance item Closetmaid heavy duty shelf standards and 18" brackets that serve as my lumber rack now. Totally sweet deal there! Really helps me get the shop organized!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

First up was my "new" edge sander, Ekstrom Carlson 112A:

Picture is when I first unloaded. Cleaned up real nice but dont have a pic of it cleaned up. That was in late January.
    Then comes April:

Oliver #66 lathe, as picked up at sellers.

After getting home, cleaned, painted.
    Also picked up a milling machine. Not a bad year.

Best overall--Grizzly G0441 cyclone which is amazingly powerful. Best deal--Dewalt DW745 table saw for $240 new on a Black Friday + competitor coupon deal at Lowes.

That's not including a few free items I've gotten from some very generous members here, which I guess makes being a contributor here the best deal.

I haven't bought many tools this year so but today I got me a little score in HD. I literally bumped into a HD fella carrying a bunch Ridgid 6" ROSanders. Regular price here is $139.00. I got this beauty and the beast in one for $100.

Festool vac with boom arm and Oneida Dust deputy. No worries about the bag filling up so I end up using it for other clean up duties as well as sanding etc.

For me, I finally joined the modern day woodworking world and added an Air compressor this year. I absolutely don't know how I got along without it. Man does it make things easier.
    Jim

Tie between two

In the stationary machine dept., my Delta 20-950 VS drill press. In portable tools, my Festool 15+3 cordless drill kit.

I have not bought much this year, I did buy a new screw drive and an awl.

I guess the Jessem dowel jig would be one of the ones at the top of the list and then the new Dewalt 611 is kind of nice.

SawStop 1.75 PCS

Jet 16-32 a close second

Best was my G1023RXL, second was the 18/36 Grizz drum sander. Best deal was a factory refurbished Dewalt DW718 slider for $400 (the saw was actually brand new but had a paint blemish). Bought numerous other tools this year, courtesy of my HO insurance company and a hit and run driver that demolished my shop last November.

Best purchase was a complete set of LN bevel-edge chisels and a set of LN mortising chisels.

I'm also very happy with my new Jet 22/44 drum sander and Powermatic PM2800 drill press.

Mike