Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimus Prime Transformer - in Maple

Optimus Prime Transformer - in Maple

Having been a youth in the early 80's, I have always been a fan of the toys The Transformers. When the new round of movies came out a few years ago, I thought it would be fun to build a fully transformable version of the quintessential Autobot - Optimus Prime.
    I started by buying the toy ($80???), taking it apart, and modeling each part using the engineering design package Pro/Engineer. I then built each part out of maple. Every part was machined by hand. He is finished using dyes and spray lacquer.
    He fully transforms from a Mack-style truck into the robot. In robot mode, he is about three feet tall. He sits on a maple base that rotates on a Lazy-Susan, for easy viewing. Even the Autobots logo built into the base is made from maple. I would estimate that I have between 500-1000 hours into this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is way beyond amazing!!

Very nicely done.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

wow, what a refreshing break from cabinets and furniture lol. that's incredible and yes, unfortunately, any original toy is now considered a collectible and therefore commands top dollar

Wow

That is all I can think of to say, just WOW, that is really kewl, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowes View Post
    Having been a youth in the early 80's, I have always been a fan of the toys The Transformers. When the new round of movies came out a few years ago, I thought it would be fun to build a fully transformable version of the quintessential Autobot - Optimus Prime.
    I started by buying the toy ($80???), taking it apart, and modeling each part using the engineering design package Pro/Engineer. I then built each part out of maple. Every part was machined by hand. He is finished using dyes and spray lacquer.
    He fully transforms from a Mack-style truck into the robot. In robot mode, he is about three feet tall. He sits on a maple base that rotates on a Lazy-Susan, for easy viewing. Even the Autobots logo built into the base is made from maple. I would estimate that I have between 500-1000 hours into this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]What does a pirate dawg say?

Patience is really an understatement on this project....
    Very unique and very well done David.

This may be the coolest woodworking project I've ever seen... but then I'm a child of the 80s and loved the transformers as well.

Pretty sweet!!!

Great job and a great amount of patience.

That is sweet. Pat yourself on the back, and crack open a brew. If you're ever up towards Lafayette, give me a heads up and I'll buy you a beer.

On edit: I hadn't yet looked closely enough at the pictures--I see you already have a beer open, and it looks like a "real" beer, too!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Your's is FAR cooler than the original! That is incredible!!!

Amazing work!

Wow........

That is incredible. do you think you will take on Voltron next?
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

That is awesome. I would have to enter that in some woodworking contest. Can't imagine it wouldn't be a winner.
    Tony

If at first you don't succeed,
    you shouldn't try skydiving.

Awesome work!!!

I grew up in the 70's so by the time the Transformers rolled around, I never really got into them. This one is just amazing though.....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?