Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stinger II Dust Collection

Other ideas I have seen: About mid way along the flex drop between the dust pipe and the machine folks use a cable and a spring attached to the ceiling or a cable ran through two pulleys and a weight along the wall. As the gantry/carriage approaches the area of the dut drop the slack in the flex is pulled up into the air via the spring or weight. As the gantry/carriage moves towards the extents the flex extends as needed. So far I have not needed it with 10' ceilings and a 62"X49" table area but I also have an aluminum rail for my echain that the flex can rest on as needed during movement.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BTW - I bought 50' of 8" flex - way more than I need - if anyone ever needs some. I think it is thin wall.

I just got my Kent Shoe hooked up and it works great. I am still wrestling with the dust collection hose coming down from the ceiling. I rigged up a bungie cord to the ceiling to keep some tension on it to keep it from getting caught up on the air actuator that sticks up pretty high.

dust1.jpg dust2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Steve,

I found that there is a considerable difference between my large table ShopBot and the smaller Stinger II where dust collection hookup is concerned. The Stinger setup uses only 58" of hose based on my current configuration. My ShopBot table at 96" long presents a different set of problems to overcome. There are a lot of different approaches to the large table DC install, I elected to use a long hose that sweeps back and forth along the X axis of my ShopBot keeping the arched flex acrylic piece as designed. The short table Stinger allowed me to use an overhead hose that I feel works well as long as my design allows the hose to swivel which keeps the radial stress off of the hose.

I may try the swing arm approach you have adopted on my ShopBot in the future but I will definitely use a swivel ball in the design.
    you would really be surprised how little airflow you get. the difference of first going to a shorder 4" hose was ok. but going to a 6" shorter hose still was a huge difference. if I use the dust Shoe like kents I have no dust escape when I surface my table. not one speck. when doing foam I can leave off the brushes and catch the dust. I have so much airflow it whistles (G) but I also have a 5hp cyclone and that helps. the 6" hose is good as it does not catch the big chunks that come loose sometimes.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

yes the .020" i braced it well and it is alot more flexible but heavy thanks keith

john
    Just an old guy learning new tricks
    Knoxville Tennessee

How far up the router body do folks place the dust shoe from Kent? Just wondering how much brush compression I should have.

From Kent: The optimal is to have the brush tips just touching the work surface just as the bit touches the surface.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.