Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First piece built entirely with hand tools

First piece built entirely with hand tools

A little while back I had a customer visit my shop and see two ball and claw feet I had carved for a Newport lowboy. He told me he would like to buy it but really wanted it to be built entirely with hand tools. The one exception is I used a bandsaw to rough out the front two legs before I carved them. Other than that everything was done entirely using hand tools. I actually had to barrow quite a few tools for this piece as I don’t own a set of hollows and rounds or a handsaw that was large enough to resaw the top. While I use a lot of hand tools in my shop I am far from a purest and typically use the best tool for the job that will accomplish the task without compromising the authenticity of the piece. When I started this piece I was pretty good with hand tools but I will admit this experience has made me a much better woodworker and I would really recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried a total hand tool build before.

The piece is a Newport Lowboy based on a piece built by John Goddard. The construction is figured Honduran mahogany and poplar for the secondary wood. The finish is a dilute mixture of pot di, tung oil/varnish and shellac.

You will have to excuse the distortortion from my camera that mahes the top look bowed

Diamanwoodcrafters

That looks amazing! The carving on the feet is so smooth and life-like. You have a real gift for handwork!

Another beautiful piece Dave.
    But what sets this one apart from your others is the fact this one is done entirely by hand.
    My hat is off to you.
    How many hours are in this piece?

A great piece of work!!

Excellent work, Dave; I particularly like your shell carving.

"The finish is a dilute mixture of pot di, tung oil/varnish and shellac."

Does that mean you put the shellac on after the tung oil/varnish?

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I hope you were paid well for the work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow thats super.......

I love the air space between the claws..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Lovely work, very impressive.

Did you work from drawings, a plan or pictures?

Scott MacLEOD

Very nice work, you should have your own show. I would love to see the joinery, do you have any pictures? My dad and I built one of these by a kit years ago. How many hours did it take you with hand tools?

David, you are a master craftsman!! Just super work, and a pleasure to view. I am sure your customer was more than pleased!

Beautiful piece, great work; but what would you have preferred using power tools for if given the choice. Maybe the top?

Pam

Really really great work.

I believe I would have been able to have identify it from the pictures as made largely by handwork even if you had not said so. There really is a different feeling that a hand made piece has. A factory just couldn't so that.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    David, you are a master craftsman!! Just super work, and a pleasure to view. I am sure your customer was more than pleased!
    Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Frank,
    Yes I put shellac over a coat of tung oil/varnish blend. I use the same finishing method on probably 90% of the pieces I build although a lot get a top coat of lacquer based on customer request.

Scott
    I worked from photographs I scaled and an original on display at Winterthur.

John,
    Probably not nearly as many hours as you would think. All the panels and drawer fronts were left thick to reduce the amount of hand plane work. It is also a fairly simple piece that required a small amount of material to be milled by hand. All and all the piece already required so much hand work the addition of the moldings and hand planning just didn’t add that much time. I think total I only had about 75 hrs in it.

Pam,
    The one thing that really kicked my but and had me really thinking about using a power tool was the top. resawing a 12” wide board by hand was a bear.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Dave,
    I always enjoy looking at your work, but this - with hand tools - this is amazing!

Perhaps someday, when I grow up and get big I can be like you.