Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly's, but a problem

New Grizzly's, but a problem

First off, The thread I put out there this afternoon...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15382
    Thanks to all that replied. I had on hand and used WD-40. Worked like a charm.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o></o><o></o>

A Top problem showed up after I cleaned off the top.

I found these stains of some kind. Looks like an over heat problem or something. Not just one, but several. 3 large ones and a couple of smaller ones.

Has anyone seen this kind of a stain on a table saw top before?

<o></o>

I sent Grizzly an e-mail and attached the table saw top pictures. I’ll call them on Monday and hope to get the top replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stains

Bob, I think your on the right track about those stains, They look to me to be overheating during the milling pocess just before the was surface ground. It could of happen during grinding but most likely during milling. I happen to have the same saw which was damaged during shipping. Grizzly replaced the damaged parts, but still offered to replace the saw anyway. They emailed me a month later to see if I was still happy with the saw I recieved and once again offer to replace it if I wasn't satified. Let us know how it turns out.

Russ

Hope you get it fixed, but in the mean time, before you get in trouble with the picture police, you might want to post a couple shots of the machines
    I'm going to assume that the gresed lightening you used was not sprayed on the area that is now stained? The stains should come off using a scotchbrite pad and gojo hand cleaner....but wait for grizzly to respond before you do anything.

Here's the jointer

I was having problems with pics earlier. Some befores and afters of the jointer.
    I'm really satisfied with this jointer
    Attached Images Attached Images

I spoke with Grizzly's Technical support yesterday. He suggested I take an orbital sander to it using oil and 100-150 grit paper. I used 120 grit. Well, it took the stains out. But left those circular marks that orbitals leave behind and it's now hazy at those points. I called Grizzly back. He started explaining how I should now start to sand with the grain to remove the circular marks. Grain? It's metal. I haven't noticed any growth rings at all. So, I asked....Can't we just replace the top? He said, "Oh yeah, we can do that". It should be here by the end of the week. I started getting worried about their customer service for a second. They brag about their "mirror like finish" on their equipment. I just wanted to get one of those. I know it's not gonna be mirror like, but I don't want to re-do their work either. I feel better now.

You got the exact same two tools I have. Sorry to hear about the top stain problem. Sanding the top will take out stains, but the finish will never be the same. I did that on my 2424 right before I sold it and while it looked good, the factory sheen was gone.

I have found their customer service to be very good, but I have just had small stuff (parts missing).

Using a series of Scotchbrite pads and a combination of polishing compounds you can get your cast table tops looking better than new with your Random Orbital Sander. Provided you do not have any deep scratches this procedure is safe and will not damage the table tops at all, it will just smooth the surface.

If you search our files you will find a thread that I started last year about using an ROS and Scotchbrite pads and pastewax to rub final finishes on woodworking projects.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Bob,

With all due respect, it seems to be a minor thing, at least from my point of view. After you use that saw for a few years you will have more stains/marks. The "mirror finish" you want will disappear in time. However, it will not diminish the saw's performance.

If you spend the time to maintain a "mirror" like finish on your tools you won't have the time to make "stuff" . My Jet cabinet saw, after 10 years use, has a number of stains a lot worse than those you have even though I clean with oil/steelwool occassionally and still performs as well as the day I purchased it.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Bob,

With all due respect, it seems to be a minor thing, at least from my point of view. After you use that saw for a few years you will have more stains/marks. The "mirror finish" you want will disappear in time. However, it will not diminish the saw's performance.
    Ken
    I agree with you. In time it will not have a "mirror like" finish. And I'll deal with the finish of the older tool at that time. But I ordered a new saw and shouldn't have to start off by sanding their stains out. They should deliver a product as stated.

Bob, I think you have good reason to be annoyed, but do consider the ramifications of gettting the top replaced which include all the logistics and time as well as the possiblity that the new top will not "match" the old one relative to how it's shimmed, etc. If the top is flat and unaffected physically by the stains, I'd scream loudly at the vendor for some "consideration" but just move on...purely from a practical standpoint. Even my pricy Mini Max equipment did not have pristine cast iron; nor did all the Jet equipment I bought over the years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bob, I think you have good reason to be annoyed, but do consider the ramifications of gettting the top replaced which include all the logistics and time as well as the possiblity that the new top will not "match" the old one relative to how it's shimmed, etc. If the top is flat and unaffected physically by the stains, I'd scream loudly at the vendor for some "consideration" but just move on...purely from a practical standpoint. Even my pricy Mini Max equipment did not have pristine cast iron; nor did all the Jet equipment I bought over the years.
    DITTO!!! No way would i want to deal with all that goes into a replacement top. I would sand it out and move on. I totally understand your frustration, and I would use that when looking for "consideration".

Agree. My top looks like poopoo now, somehow I got a nice scratch down it. I was more concerned that it be flat and level then appearance. It still cuts as good as new.

But, hey each to their own. I would rather be WWing then messing with a top.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Tim/Jim

I'm a little confussed here...I spent a lot of money on this saw and would have liked to have received it in ready to use condition.

Ok, suppose you bring your new car home and you find a large bubble in the paint on the roof of the car. What do you do. Look for sandpaper? If it were me I'd ask to have it fixed. But, that's just me.

I feel the same way about the saw. It should be ready to use out of the box.

Bob - Considering what everyone has said here, I think the work involved in changing the top and getting it shimed correctly may result in more issues than you currently have. The only way I would accept this option is if Grizzley sends a tech to do the installation and calibration.

Recrating and shipping the saw back is another option but a major hassle.

The third option mught be to talk to one of the service managers and see if they can take some money off the purchase price or throw in some blades or a tenon jig etc. What they've sent you is a damaged product. If this was returned they would either replace the top or sell it as a scratch and dent.

In the end as long as the saw cuts well then the finish is purely secondary. But I agree with how you feel you paid for a saw in good condition and therefore you should have a saw in good condition.

My 2 cents...

Mike

I feel the same way about the saw. It should be ready to use out of the box.
    And if thats what you want then i think thats great. I said i was in agreement with your fristration at not recieveing it perfect. I was only trying to make the point that for me the lesser of two evils would would be to buff it out and ask grizzy for $75 bucks credit for maybe a superHD mobile base. But if you are up for all that goes with replacing the top then I you and i have no dissagreements. i am in the same situations you are in with a motor that arrived last night damaged, I am askling for a new motor to be shipped