Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Woodworking Shows - Hoh hum.

1. The Woodworking Shows - Hoh hum.

I attended the Woodworking Show here in Minnesota on Sunday. While I did spend some money, I have to say that even though I've only attended two of these shows, they've been a little disappointing after reading about them over the years.

For those of you who've been going to these shows regularly over the years, have you noticed a decline? Were they really so much better four or five years ago? I know there are a few other Minnesotans here in the forums. Did any of you go to the show on Shakopee?

You can see my blog entry on the show at my site listed in my profile, Second Wind Workshop.

Pete

If they are anything like the decline of gun shows and computer shows from years past...... differing reasons for the decline, but same results....

I can only imagine that internet sales have made a huge impact on woodworking shows.... It'd be rather hard for any smaller/independent retailers to travel to shows with increased costs, trying to sell at a price point to cover those costs, only to still be priced over internet sellers that can sell cheaper because of better volume and lower overhead.

I've seen the exact same thing in small retail computer shops, in which i used to work. Our cost from distibutors was the same as online sellers were selling for. By the time you mark up enough to make even a small profit, your being compared to online, and judged as expensive. Sure, you have a few loyal people that come thru for ya, put not enough to pay the bills.

Bottom line is most consumers nowadays will throw your arse under the bus to save $5. And a large majority of the few who will pay the extra $5, pretty much act like you owe them the world for ever on for doing so.

I live here did even know there was a show going on....guess I will have to pay attention. Where was it at?

Phil

Save up and go to one of the national shows. 2011 will be in Las Vegas I think. They will not disappoint I can promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    I live here did even know there was a show going on....guess I will have to pay attention. Where was it at?

Phil
    Canterbury Park (The horse track)

I thought about going, but there wasn't any vendors listed that I really had any interest in.

Blog Entries
    I went this year out on the left coast and yes, commensurate with the economy, it was smaller than last year which was much smaller than 4 or 5 years ago when things were really rolling. I do try to attend faithfully as a lack of interest by attendees certainly doesn't provide incentive to the sponsors and exhibitors to put on a more extravagant show. I may be a movement of one but, I would like others to join me ;-)

P.s. I saved enough money in shipping costs on the trinkets I bought (I keep a running list of items to pick up) to cover my admission, parking and gas easily.

Thanks for the review Peter, glad I didnt make the trip. I've read in the past years this show is getting smaller and smaller.

I live about a half hour from Shakopee and I didn't go.

1. My wife had a birthday on Saturday. She thought she would rather go to a fabric store than a woodworking show. ( I still don't understand that logic )

2.I looked at the vendor list online and it looked like none of them would have any big (18") bandsaws.

3. The reputation for these shows is that they are small and don't have big equipment.

4. Acme Tools in Plymouth had a show inside their store. No admission. They seemed t have some good deals but I'm saving up for the bandsaw. I would have bought the Jet 3 HP, but the tool fund is a little short.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Save up and go to one of the national shows. 2011 will be in Las Vegas I think. They will not disappoint I can promise you that.

Though I agree about AWFS and IWF being a whole different world, I can say IWF in Atlanta this year was off compared to years past. A good example of this was Grizzly was a no show and they always had a huge booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Though I agree about AWFS and IWF being a whole different world, I can say IWF in Atlanta this year was off compared to years past. A good example of this was Grizzly was a no show and they always had a huge booth.
    Interesting, I checked the AWFS site and they are not listed there either. They where there big time in 2009.

they definitely are on the decline and were so before the Great Recession hit. Just my humble opinion, I think the Wood Magazine/Delta-PC affiliation has essentially shut out the vendors of competing equipment. Although I find it interesting on their website they are advertising Jet / PM give aways, I don't think there are any vendors exhibiting Jet/PM tools, at least in Columbus.

I will still go though. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist. This year I hope that some of the hardwood vendors bring stock instead of just flyers and cards. And I can always find a way to part with some $$ at the Lee Valley booth.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Interesting, I checked the AWFS site and they are not listed there either. They where there big time in 2009.
    Yep, they were at IWF in 08 also. The large industrial machine manufacturers seemed to have their usual showing this year but many of the manufacturers that dip into the hobby level stuff, overall seemed to be absent or have smaller booths, fewer staff and/or less actual product. Just a sign of the current times I suppose, in any event AWFS or IWF blow the smaller shows out of the water in many ways plus it is cool to see some of the high end industrial machines as well as some of the high end kitchen cabinet suppliers etc. Plus the reps at the two big shows tend to be from higher up the food chain and have more and more accurate info whether they will share it or not. Oh and "swag" was down this year as well.

For those that don't know IWF is held in Atlanta in even numbered years, AWFS is held in Las Vegas in the odd numbered years.

13. There was a hardwood vendor with a whole semi load of stock. Seemed pretty pricey to me though.

No Lee Valley booth though. That would have been great.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Harbin View Post
    No Lee Valley booth though. That would have been great.

Pete
    Not necessarily. They were at the Costa Mesa show and it cost me a bit of dough. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Harbin View Post
    There was a hardwood vendor with a whole semi load of stock.
    Who was the vendor?